Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paul B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
The hard drive in my first-generation MBP is going bad and I plan on replacing it. Unfortunately, I don't have the restore CDs anymore.

Will I be able to install OS X using the restore CDs that I received with my Penryn MBP?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Install discs are hardware-specific, so you can't use them on another model. It would be a copyright violation, anyway.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Install discs are hardware-specific, so you can't use them on another model. It would be a copyright violation, anyway.

Apples licensing is on a 'per user basis', not 'per system', as you seem to suggest. And, it's only a copyright violation if the OP is planning on copying the disk for someone else.

The hard drive in my first-generation MBP is going bad and I plan on replacing it. Unfortunately, I don't have the restore CDs anymore.

Will I be able to install OS X using the restore CDs that I received with my Penryn MBP?

Depends... it's a 50/50 shot. No harm in trying, is there?

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
The gray installer discs check the Model Identifier.

Hmm.. I tell you what I do know. You can't make a older system installer disk work on a newer system from the same line. However, it might be possible to make a newer system disk work on a older system from the same line.

Then again...

It'll depend on the OP's disk. If it's the latest retail version, then it'll work on all Mac, old and new with the exception of some PowerPC systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.