Will people still hack?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lindsayanng, Jun 5, 2008.

1. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Do you think people will still hack the iphone after the new apps come out and there is a new phoen with more capabilities. I mean, I'm sure there are going to be some things missing, but do you think it would be work it to jailbreak an iphone (unless you want to use on a non iphone carrier/plan)

I would THINK that once the App Store comes out, if you are hacking your iphone to put MORE apps, or different apps, then you shouldn't have an iphone because it just doesn't do what you want it to do. Maybe that;s an unpopular opinion, or maybe i'm just niave, but to me - an unlocked/jailbroke iphone is useless if it needs warranty repair, so why do it if the new app store is going to add all the little nessesities we need.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Some people are still going to jailbreak just because they can. Others are going to want to avoid the upgrade fee. I haven't jailbroken my iPod and I don't plan to, but I don't have a problem with anyone that does; they've bought the device and can do what they want with it.

3. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

i didnt say i had a problem with people who did it. i just dont understand WHY you would.. I was just looking for opinions and other reasons i havent thought of to jailbreak.. I dont know, my phone is not jailbroken, but to me (from reading here) jailbreaking just means that you can add new applications to your iphone, customize it a littlemore, OR use it on another carrier. The last reason seems to be the only real reason to do it with the new App Store opening up.

4. outz macrumors 6502

What fee are you talking about?

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have a feeling if something "big" is missing, then yes. I and I also think people will just because they can. Some people just like to tweak things. Nothing wrong with it......

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It is expected that iPod users will be charged around $20 for the new OS, as mentioned here.

7. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

oh.. well thats for ipod touch users.. i meant iphone users. I did post in the iphone hacks section right??

When you say something BIG, what are your thinking though? I can not imagine they would NOT offer IM, Video Capabilities.. what else is BIG in your eyes.

8. thebiggoose macrumors 6502

thebiggoose

also because apple won't allow many useful apps on the app store, especially apps that need file access to the iphone!

9. outz macrumors 6502

people love getting the most out of their devices. the hacking scene will be alive and well.

10. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

Yes, I think that they will as long as there are applications offered for free or low cost for jailbreakers. I certainly don't mind paying for some applications, but it could really add up if you wanted a bunch of apps that cost money from the AppStore or are free for a comparable application for a jailbroken phone.

Think about it...I had more than 30 apps on my phone before I sold it and if they were sold for even $5 each, that'd be $150 on top of a $500 (at least) phone. Not that much for software you NEED, but more significant if it's stuff that you want to just play with.

11. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

i guess that makes sense, but dont you think that the people who make the apps for the jailbroken iphone might start charging for them as well.. and the file access option: do you not think apple will allow that with some sort of update?

12. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

There will always be people who offer their software for free, but often asking for donations. Some of them just won't want to go through Apple's process and will think that it's just easier to offer to jailbreakers. There is incentive, of course, to go through Apple's process because of the much bigger audience of non-jailbroken phones.

I was always amazed at the quality of many programs that were always offered for free on the Palm devices that could have always charged some. Of course, most of those applications now look ancient compared to what can be developed for the iPhone's wonderful screen and abilities!

13. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't be surprised if the app store has tons free applications because apple has agreed to cover all other charges against them. When you plan to sell and app on the store there are other fees that apply. Its not like people are buying apps for their hacked phones and touches, those same programs can be in the app store for free.

14. ThePeacemaker02 macrumors regular

If the iPhone worked on tmobile I wouldn't hack mine.

15. brando88 macrumors 6502

16. oldimac macrumors regular

Ditto to the peacemaker - can't get ATT out here in the New Mexico sticks but can get T-Mobile and T-Mobile works great on my 8GB iphone but sure would like a 16gb and hand my 8GB down to my wife.

To answer your question, that is one reason and as someone else already posted - just because we can. :p

17. carlosluna699 macrumors newbie

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

By thunder, yes, I will!

Viva la unlocked 4GB iPhone!

19. iNassar macrumors member

yeah i live at mexico too and getting the new iphone will be incredibly expensive..the cheapest monthly fee would be 41 dlls + 360 dlls for the 8gb iphone(450 if you want the 16 gb iphone) and the 3G conection sucs only 100 mgb .. im looking forward to buy one at the states few months after the release date (just to see if the price goes 200 dlls down :D )and then jailbrake it

20. VideoShooter macrumors regular

It's going to be 9.99.

21. VideoShooter macrumors regular

The only reason I would consider a jailbrake is if the 3G tethering is possible and simple.

Tethering is the one thing I REALLY want the iPhone to do that it won't be able to do.

22. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse