Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeddy1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
ive already searched the question through google to no avail, sure you guys will know.

reason i want to jailbreak it is to watch live football but most of the games are on flash based video players, heck i dont even know if it will work on a jailbroken phone. will sites like silversportz.co.uk work on it?

thank you.

zed

ahdickter

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
To answer your first question: no, the phone network will not be able to tell if you have jailbroken. To do so would be an extremely intrusion of privacy. However, if you start to tether and they see high surges in data usage, they will contact you (they'll try and push you into getting a tethering plan).

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I think there are apps in the app store that allow you to watch flash video via a connection through a 3rd party computer on their servers or something of that nature. As far as I know, jailbreaking doesn't have a tweak that enables flash video through iOS natively.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Subscribe to Sky and ESPN.

Download Sky Go app, enjoy Premiership, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Eriedivisie, and MLS on your iPhone or iPad over WiFi or 3G.

That's what I do. Well, except as a business perk I don't pay for Sky.

zeddy1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
However, if you start to tether and they see high surges in data usage, they will contact you (they'll try and push you into getting a tethering plan).

thanks for replying

ive gone for the unlimited data usage £26 an month iphone 4 which allows tethering. the whole reason i wanted the phone & plan in the 1st place was so i could watch games on skygo but as they dont show every game, i go to that site i mentioned which is very popular and i am using just as an example for video players. all i wanna know is, will flash work?

thanks.

zed

----------

through a 3rd party computer on their servers or something of that nature. As far as I know, jailbreaking doesn't have a tweak that enables flash video through iOS natively.

ok cool i 'll give it a go :)

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Apps are able to "check" and see if you are jailbroken. It's not that hard really. Can the network? Technically I am sure it wouldn't be hard. The real question is why would they care?

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
thanks for replying

ive gone for the unlimited data usage £26 an month iphone 4 which allows tethering. the whole reason i wanted the phone & plan in the 1st place was so i could watch games on skygo but as they dont show every game, i go to that site i mentioned which is very popular and i am using just as an example for video players. all i wanna know is, will flash work?

thanks.

zed

is that the SIM Only Full Monty plan on T-Mobile?

If it is, it doesn't include tethering by the looks of things.

Click here for the page: http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/sim-only/plans/ and then click the big pink "unlimited talk, texts and internet" link in the middle.

It says tethering is not included.

What's weird is that they say tethering is included on £36 & £41 per month Full Monty Tariffs, but no mention of the £26 per month iPhone 4 2 year Full Monty tariff. :confused:

zeddy1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
Mine wasn't sim only, had to pay £29 for the handset, I rang em up just to make sure there wasn't anything dodgy in the small print..

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Apps are able to "check" and see if you are jailbroken. It's not that hard really. Can the network? Technically I am sure it wouldn't be hard. The real question is why would they care?

Verizon clearly "cares" about Jailbreaking/Rooting, as is evidenced by the fact that the new Galaxy S3 comes with a locked bootloader. Their official statement is that they don't want customers screwing with the OS that comes equipped on the device because it could disrupt their ability to support the device and/or possibly harm their network. Both are hogwash, of course, but just saying that they've gone on record against OS mods of any kind.

And like you've said, I'm sure the network providers can tell if a phone is jailbroken/rooted or not. Whether they choose to do anything with that info is questionable. I'm pretty sure Apple knows if the device is jailbroken as well every time you access the App store and/or iTunes. But again, doesn't mean they do anything with such knowledge.

Interestingly enough, nowhere in Apple's EULA for iOS do they put in the fairly standard disclaimer that they've provided no "disabling code" that would allow them to render the license of iOS inoperable. Almost all other software providers have this clause in their contracts (companies require the 'no disabling code' clause). That leads me to believe that Apple DOES, in fact, have disabling code embedded somewhere in iOS. Invoking it would cause a legal crapstorm obviously but still...wouldn't put it past them to have it in there.

TheDrivingMac

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
I think there are apps in the app store that allow you to watch flash video via a connection through a 3rd party computer on their servers or something of that nature. As far as I know, jailbreaking doesn't have a tweak that enables flash video through iOS natively.

There is a tweak that can! Its called Flashme

maplelegend

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Ohio
actually I have the same question...
if you don't jailbreak there's so much inconvenience, but still hope someday iphone will fix all these inconvenience so that we don't have to do that...after all jailbreaking sounds like "illegal" to myself...

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
there are browsers in the app store that are flash friendly. Apple doesn't include flash in mobile safari because frankly, flash sucks. But there are other browsers out there that are iPhone friendly that will do flash, no jailbreak required.

I'm sure the network could tell if you jailbreak but there is no reason to. You are still paying them every month either way, jailbreaking doesn't rip off the carrier at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.