Will 'Photos' Duplicate Images?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ConnYoungy, Apr 29, 2015.

1. ConnYoungy macrumors 6502a

Currently I have my entire 18k camera roll imported to Photos (I've imported all images from my iPhone periodically since 2008, then delete them from the phone). They've all been renamed so that they number 1 to Whatever (as opposed to the mismatched names various apps give photos on the phone etc).

There are 4k pictures still in my camera roll.

My question is: When I enable iCloud Photos on my phone, is it smart enough to know that 4k of the images in the cloud are duplicates of images already on the phone, even with their new filenames?

Cheers

2. AdnanSyed macrumors newbie

3. ConnYoungy thread starter macrumors 6502a

By that do you mean it will detect duplicate photos and not duplicate them?

4. Fontane macrumors regular

Hard to say. People around the web say that Photos and iCloud Library are smart enough to detect duplicates. Depends on which algorithm or method they use.
    I'll tell you that I had quite a few duplicates which turned into a big mess for me. If I were you, I'd find a way to back up everything and then proceed a small step at a time to be sure.

5. Davidglenn macrumors member

Davidglenn

I have been uploading my library from my MBP for the last month. When I switch on my MBA it wants to upload the same 15,000 + photos. I am now wondering if I can or should delete all photos on the MBA and then just download from the cloud. Or if I should just the MBA sneaky even though that may take a month o do.