Will power adapter for macbook work for macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nickcage49, May 9, 2010.

1. nickcage49 macrumors newbie

I had a 13" macbook with a 60w power adapter. My new 2010 macbook pro uses an 85 watt adapter. I've been using the 60w adapter as a travel adapter and it's powering it and charging it, despite what apple says. Will using this adapter harm my computer or battery in any way or is it ok to continue using this one. I'd love to save the cost of buying another power adapter.

2. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

It will work fine as long as you don't try to use the computer when the bat is dead empty.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

The MacBook 60W power adapter will not damage your MacBook Pro, it will just charge at a slower rate than the 85W power adapter.

4. lee50539310 macrumors newbie

I have saw the answer from Apple Store before, hope it can help you.

The power (Wattage) requirement of the Macbook Pro is higher (the adapter is rated 85W, while the one for the 13"is rated 60W), so you must use the 85W adapter. These regulated power supplies are able to maintain the voltage (V) constant, while the current (I) is adjusted according to the needs of the equipment being powered. Since P=V x I, if V is kept regulated at 10 Volts, the maximum current supported by the 60W adaptor will be 6 Amps, while the 85W adapter will supply up to 8.5 Amps. So, using the 85W with the 13" does not constitute a problem (on the contrary, the power adapter will run cooler), but if you use the 60W with the Macbook Pro, the current drained from the adaptor will exceed its specs, the adapter will overheat and its life spam will be shortened considerably.

5. pscraig macrumors member

I would not do this.

I had a MBP and my wife had a Macbook. We had the chargers plugged in by the couch, and one night I grabbed the wrong Magsafe connector-for her 60W macbook adapter. The next day the 60W adapter was completely dead, with a light brown mark on the case where something inside had likely overheated. $80 at the Apple Store for a new one.

The MBP can draw maximum current when charging a dead battery, or while using the computer and charging a battery.

Note that Apple charges the same price for the 60W and 85W adapters, so if you buy one grab the 85W.

6. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I've actually bought a few cheap power adapters for my MBP on eBay for 15-20$ each, for a few months now, 0 problems. I'd recommend them.