Will Pre-Ordering allow for in store pickup on the 14th?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xystence, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Xystence macrumors regular

For the iPhone 4 launch last year I preordered online and they held mine at my local store, will this still be available like it was last year or are preorders only going to be for shipping to my house?

Thanks in advance!

2. mom333 macrumors regular

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Last year there was no pre-ordering for in-store pickup, it was a reservation. Not sure if they same is for this iPhone 4S.

4. Tones2 macrumors 65816

I don't think they actually did that LAST year. I think it was 2 years ago where you could reseserve and do a store pick up. I'm not sure why they discontinued doing that as it seemed to work out fairly well.

Tony

5. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

They did do it last year, 2010, for the iPhone 4.

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I would check directly with the store, since there are some new dynamics with the changing of the guard.

7. Tones2 macrumors 65816

Hmm..Really? I specifically remember that I could NOT find a way to do this last year. I WAS able to do it 2 years ago.

But if you are right, and we were able to do it for the last 2 years, why not this year then? Has Apple specifically say we could not?

Tony

8. mom333, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

mom333 macrumors regular

It's easy to find out - just ask your local store, like I did. They said they ship home only - no in store pick up. (This was my local AT&T store.)

9. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Yes last year for the iPhone 4 you could, servers were slammed and not everyone was able to get their order through. I remember very good.

Not sure why we wouldn't this year, it isn't confirmed that we won't be able to yet though.

10. rayward macrumors 68000

In-store reservations were allowed last year for the iPhone 4. A reservation was good until 5pm, at which point it expired and "your" phone was open for general sale.

My plan was to go early afternoon to pick up my reserved phone but, once I read about the death grip, I let it expire. It was free, so there was no cost to me. I'm hoping to be able to do the same thing again this year - and I fully expect to take up my option this time around!