Will prices be lowered when new generation comes out?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sapsjr, Dec 19, 2008.

1. sapsjr macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm saving up for my first Mac :) and I should have the funds available within the next 45 days.

When a new generation comes out does Apple lower the price of the former generation?

I'll be getting a 24 inch iMac with a student discount. I'm just wondering if the prices on the current generation will change next month when they come out with the new generation.

If so - how much of a price reduction is normal?

Thanks a lot!

- Scott

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I thought they usually came down in price?

The put the new one in at the same price point (or there abouts) and reduce the older ones to clear the backlog.

Don't hold me to that but I thought thats what happened. The drop is only £100 or so nothing spectacular.

If you are thinking of getting an older one when the new ones come out why not just get a refurb now?

4. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

I don't think they give you additional student discount on the late model. If you have ADC Student membership you should be eligible for that discount, though. Consult ADC if you want that discount, its generally significant.

5. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Actually, they do; to a limited degree anyway. If you check Apple's site for a week or so after the new generation hardware is released (probably longer) they usually have the previous generation on the clearance/refurb page. Usually the discount is about 10-15% but you cannot use your student discount on anything purchased there.

6. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

amazon usualyy has decent discounts on older models once the new ones come out.

7. iOrlando macrumors 68000

they usually do speed bumps and other minor upgrades while keeping prices the same. so you are getting more stuff for your buck..

im speaking of macbooks when i say that..

8. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Apple usually has some clearance sales on the online Apple Store. If you want the best deals, you'd go to Amazon or Best Buy. BB had the last gen MacBook, brand new for $850. That's a $150 price drop from the refreshed(but mostly the same) model.

9. Maxington macrumors 6502

Student discounts tend to be the best discount around for new mac.

Otherwise, look at the refurbished mac section.

10. BayouBengal macrumors regular

The "old" models would likely end up in the Refurb/Clearance section at a slight discount. Retail outlets like Best Buy, Amazon, Newegg, etc... will typically offer something as a combo like a free printer in order to sweeten the deal while the price remains the same.

11. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Uh...No but the used and refurbs are discounted..

12. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

usually you can get the previous gen from B&M stores for a nice discount. I remember when the aluminum iMacs came out and I was working at a big box store we let a 24" white iMac go for $1400 or so.

13. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

:apple:I would say at least $200 and refurbs a little more but its hard to tell.:apple:

14. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Go refurb/clearance, also check macmall and macconnection they have some good deals after a new revision comes out

ChrisN