will profiles ever be available?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twisted-pixel, Sep 24, 2009.

1. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

a guy at work (a big apple fan) is telling me that profiles are available in 3.1 and I should upgrade. I've not been able to find any details of this on the web anywhere, so I suspect he's mistaken...and without it, there isn't enough of a reason to upgrade.

so, are they available in 3.1? or will they ever be available? years ago I had an old nokia and even that had profiles (meeting, loud, discreet etc)

I just find it a bit of a pain to go into settings and switch things on/off and set volumes etc, when I think there should be a way to set up a profile and choose it with a quick selection.

many thanks

2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The iPhone currently has 2 profiles built in. Ringer off and Ringer on. There's a switch on the side of the device. Other than that... how hard is it to flip a switch or change the volume if you're going into a meeting?

3. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

What settings are you looking at? I either shut the ringer off using the switch or lower the volume using the volume button. :)

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

^^ Profiles could be a lot more than that. If I could set up something like this for me it would be ideal:

Home: Ringer ON, WiFi On, 3G OFF, Push Mail OFF, Push Notifications OFF
    School: Ringer OFF, WiFi OFF, 3G ON, Push Mail ON, Push Notifications OFF
    Work: Ringer OFF, WiFi OFF, 3G OFF, Push Mail OFF, Push Notifications OFF
    Out and about: Ringer ON, WiFi OFF, 3G ON, Push Mail ON, Push Notifications ON
    Night time: Everything OFF

5. muledogus macrumors 6502

I wouldn't go to him for Apple information anymore.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

There are lots of reasons people might want profiles other than on and off.

What if I'm in a meeting but I want to know if I get a text alert but not a phone call.

What if I want to get phone calls but not a text alert?

What if I want my ringer to be one volume daytime and another at night?

What if I want vibrate on during the day but not at night

What if I want to create permutations of all the above

What if I want to control aspects of wifi/3g/edge based on where I am

And what if I want to do all of this with one switch as opposed to having to set/reset several settings?

The one on/off button, as you say, isn't enough.

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

So to answer the original poster's question. Your friend is mistaken... there are no profiles, like the ones you described, in 3.1.

8. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

9. Cartoonkid macrumors 6502

Cartoonkid

Ringer profiles would be awesome!

Is this something that can be done with an app, or would Apple not allow it because it controls a built-in feature of the iPhone?

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Well for me it would be great if instead of turning WiFi on, 3G off, Push Off, Push notifications off, Ringer On when I got home and turning WiFi Off, 3G on, Push On, Push notifications Off and Ringer off when got to school I could just go to settings and choose my "Home" profile or my "School" profile.

It can't be done with an app.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

My point is that you can't do it with one on/off switch as TheSpaz was trying to intimate.

I do miss having profiles like the ones I had set up on my blackberry which would dictate ringer/vibrate options based on daytime/work/sleep. Switching between them was easy and efficient instead of having to manually change volume and other settings...

There's little to no reason why Apple couldn't create something similar.

12. twisted-pixel thread starter macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

thre is an app, it's called MyProfiles (needs jailbreak) however it's not particularly reliable whcih is why I was asking about whether Apple were doing something themselves.

and as has been pointed out, the ringer on/off is not enough

When I'm at work, I want my ringer low, bluetooth, WiFi and push email off, when I'm in a meeting I want the ringer off completely, vibrate on and push email back on
    At night I want flight mode, etc etc

and it would be great to be able to do all that without manually setting each item...just pick a profile and away you go.

however, it seems that this isn't something they are thinking of

13. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes..... I want that too!

I forgot how useful profiles were (and could be) until your post.

14. mrochester macrumors 65816

Profiles are one of the things I miss the most when I switched to an iPhone from a Nokia phone. Apple should take some inspiration from Nokia and implement a profile system - the ringer switch is a bit too primitive.

15. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

I miss that from my SonyEricsson :(

16. mtehonica macrumors regular

I have been waiting for a profiles feature FOREVER! There is a new app in Cydia that will do this but I haven't tried it yet and it's $2.99. Will probably try it in the next couple days. It will automatically silence your phone at nights or when your calendar says you are in a meeting, etc. Very useful.

17. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I would also like to have profiles. Strange that Apple doesn't find this as a useful feature.

T.

18. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

What would be awesome (and very Apple) is if they pulled something off where it was location-aware...so you set it for "within .25 miles of X location, use profile 1, for y location, profile 2..."

There are programs for Windows Mobile that I think can do that via GPS.

19. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

But my meeting room is only 10m from my office :p

It looks like MyProfiles has this feature.

20. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I've just tried MyProfiles but it doesn't seem to work. The profiles just don't get activated.

21. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

About all you can do is put in a feature request on Apple's site and hope.

22. matttye macrumors 601

Apple will slowly but surely add most of the features other phones have, it just depends how long you're willing to wait for them :D

23. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

I'm surprised you would post this, with your attention to detail. Its obvious you did not spend to much time trying to understanding the usefulness of profiles, especially since the iPhone has settings for items that are inconvenient, like turning bluetooth and wireless.

There are lots of reasons people might want profiles other than on and off.

What if I'm in a meeting but I want to know if I get a text alert but not a phone call.
    My iPhone vibrates when I get a text, vibrates when it starts "ringing" when in silent, I simply press the sleep button and it stop vibrating while the phone "continues to ring".
    What if I want to get phone calls but not a text alert?
    See above
    What if I want my ringer to be one volume daytime and another at night?
    Use the volume button?
    What if I want vibrate on during the day but not at night
    I assume yours is set to ring and vibrate? if so, then I see your point on this one.
    What if I want to create permutations of all the above
    Perhaps there's a point there as well.
    What if I want to control aspects of wifi/3g/edge based on where I am
    Interesting thought, but I can't even do this on my curve. Combined with the above this would be a nice feature.
    And what if I want to do all of this with one switch as opposed to having to set/reset several settings?
    How do you propose switching multiple permutations of profiles with a simple on/off switch?

The one on/off button, as you say, isn't enough.

Again, another clueless person. You're what I call an iTunes only person. Some people would like to have more business like features. Try thinking outside of the Apple crate.

I am not sure why MyProfiles is not workng either of you. I have been using them for about 3 months.
    I have a going to work profile, which turns on at 7:00 am, it switches wifi off, bluetooth on.
    Then I have a profile for when I arrive at work, turns off bluetooth, turns on wifi and connects to my companies wifi network.
    Going home I have a leave work profile that turns off wifi and turns on bluetooth.
    At 6:00 pm my profile turns off bluetooth, turns on wifi and connects to my home network.
    I never have to go into settings to turn on and off these things, it just works.
    I have not experimented with SMS and other things, but I will give it a try.

24. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Won't that kill the battery if the GPS is constantly tracking you?

25. fedup flyer macrumors regular

I wish Apple would add something I understand the Blackberry has. The ability to reject calls after a pre-programmed time of night (and possibly only allow certain important numbers to ring through) without turning the phone off.