Will programs still work when upgrading to snow leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrono1081, Aug 1, 2009.

  1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

    chrono1081

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Location:
    Isla Nublar
    #1
    Hi guys.

    I've never upgraded OS's on a mac before and was wondering if when you upgrade is Mac like Windows where very few things work at first and you have to wait for patches and updates and new versions?

    I've been a windows tech for years and I know with each iteration of windows almost nothing works until new versions and patches are released. I assume it will probably be the same way on Mac OS since its a new operating system but I was just wondering incase I am wrong.
     
  2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

    BlueRevolution

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2004
    Location:
    Montreal, QC
    #2
    There are always a few programs that don't work, but having upgraded to Tiger and Leopard when each was in their .0 revision, I can say that 90% of applications work perfectly and the remaining 10% are patched within a month.
     
  3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #3
    Most will – smaller apps might not, larger apps might lose some features, chances are if anything there might be some older plug-ins that are problematic. But, remember that large corporations have probably been using Snow Leopard to prevent this.
     
  4. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

    MWPULSE

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2008
    Location:
    London
    #4
    of course there are some apps which might be derelict like the apps that do the screen recording and such which is supposedly being included in snow leopard. (albeit a rumour!)
     
  5. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

    chrono1081

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Location:
    Isla Nublar
  6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

    SnowLeopard2008

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #6
    Screen recording works in the Dev Preview version. I've tried it before migrating back to Leopard for work reasons. Also, I've heard that Java apps might not work properly or at all due to Leopard using 1.5 and SL using 1.6 version of Java.
     
  7. devburke Guest

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2008
    #7
    Not just a rumor, it's listed on Apple's SL features page I believe.
     
  8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

    BlueRevolution

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2004
    Location:
    Montreal, QC

Share This Page