Will public beta users get the GM?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by StuMcBill, Sep 4, 2015.

1. StuMcBill macrumors 6502

Or will it just be those with developer accounts?

Stewart

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

This will be a new experience for everyone. The public beta program for iOS just started at the end of 8.x, so who knows whats coming for an all new version. My hunch is that public and developer testers will get access at the same time.

3. StuMcBill thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, sorry. I'm new to iOS so I just assumed this happened all the time.

Guess I will wait and see!

4. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

common sense logic says yes, gm isnt a "beta" anymore, if there some sudden bug of death, apple will need to know about it right away

apple seems to be a little ballsy going from beta 5 to gm (apparently) on a next major release i expected a beta 6, guess that shows how well ios 9 is already

5. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

Everybody gets the GM. Just download and install when it's out.

6. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Like mentioned in previous posts, this stage of beta is new to the public program. (Previously was only for 8.3, 8.4 and never a whole new version x.0)

The only thing we can go off is the Yosemite Public Beta last summer. That got all 3 GM candidates just as the Developer seed. So I would assume iOS and Public Beta shouldn't be any different.

7. DoctorKrabs macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

If you are on iOS 9 beta with the public profile, you'll see this message after September 16:

Attached Files:

8. mizxco macrumors 6502a

mizxco

How'd you get that alert already?? Or did it happen whenever a new beta is released?

And yes OP, everyone gets the GM on Sept 9.

9. DoctorKrabs macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

It shows up when you set the date forward.

10. mizxco macrumors 6502a

mizxco

Ahhhhhh~~~~~~~ ;)

11. batting1000 macrumors 604

GMs have never been sent as OTA updates for iOS developer betas...they've always required you to download the .ipsw from the developer center.

However, we don't know what to expect with iOS public betas just yet, so we'll see. Technically there's no actual bug testing to be done with the GM, so it's possible Apple won't send an OTA to it from the public beta. You will be able to update to 9.0 from the public beta when it's released publicly though.

12. GreyOS, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015

GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

to clarify for others though, with iOS 8.0 the public OTA update was available to developer preview users (those who hadn't already manually downloaded the GM ipsw when it was released a week or so before). Evidence

Therefore I would say it is pretty much beyond doubt that public beta testers will get an OTA update whenever iOS 9.0 is released to the public. besides, Apple wouldn't leave non-technical, non-developers in the lurch like that. whether they get the GM the day it is released to developers for manual update... it is unlikely.

13. mizxco macrumors 6502a

mizxco

Wonder if I should update via the IPSW or wait for OTA when that happens :/