Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
Hi,

I'm planning to get myself an iMac.

The "Quad-Core Processor" and "27-inch display" used in iMacs have not been upgraded for years.

Will Apple have a "6 Core/8 Core Processor and a bigger 30/34 inch display" iMac in the near future?

Or, the next gen iMac will have other impressive hardware improvements?

One more silly question, should I purchase the 27-inch late 2015 iMac now? Or wait for the next iMac(maybe 2016)?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Ed

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The "Quad-Core Processor" and "27-inch display" used in iMacs have not been upgraded for years.

Will Apple have a "6 Core/8 Core Processor and a bigger 30/34 inch display" iMac in the near future?
No.

------​
Or, the next gen iMac will have other impressive hardware improvements?
A bit early to tell, but it'll for sure get what the late 2015 Skylake iMac should have gotten: DDR4 RAM, USB-C/Thunderbolt 3, Fusion drive on the base model. A redesign is also possible, as it has been 3 years with the current one.

Last edited:

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
A bit early to tell, but it'll for sure get what the late 2015 Skylake iMac should have gotten: DDR4 RAM, USB-C/Thunderbolt 3, Fusion drive on the base model. A redesign is also possible, as it has been 3 years with the current one.​

DDR4 & USB-C are good. But I don't need Thunderbolt and Fusion drive. A redesign? Any chance of a "curved, high resolution, and huge diagonal" display iMac?

BTW, do you know why Apple doesn't want to use 6-core chips on their iMacs?

Thanks.

Ed​

Winfield

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2015
I don't think there'll be a larger screen or more core cpu on iMac since that'll be a duplicate of Mac Pro. Either on performance or on price. And 27' is large enough for most people. But honestly, only Apple knows it for sure.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
DDR4 & USB-C are good. But I don't need Thunderbolt and Fusion drive. A redesign? Any chance of a "curved, high resolution, and huge diagonal" display iMac?

Thanks.

Ed​

Show me mainstream Intel Core processor that is 6 Core. The mainstream as in 1155,1156,1150,1151 sockets have ALL been Quad Core ( or less ) If you want a Hexacore then you are looking at Enthusiast so 1338 and now 2011, 2011-3 cpus's.

There is talk that Intel may move to Hexacore however until Intel make a mainstream Hexacore, don't see the iMac moving above Quad Core. AMD APU systems are also Quad Core as well.

Would really push the lower end nMP out as well.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

Thanks.

Ed​

In a word no, they will never make what you are asking for, just get a PC and a curved monitor.

They don't use 6 core chips because there are no mainstream ones, they are extremely expensive, they don't fit within the thermal design of the iMac and are of limited use in most work cases

Reactions: phrehdd

cbrand493

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2015
Perth, Australia
Show me mainstream Intel Core processor that is 6 Core. The mainstream as in 1155,1156,1150,1151 sockets have ALL been Quad Core ( or less ) If you want a Hexacore then you are looking at Enthusiast so 1338 and now 2011, 2011-3 cpus's.

There is talk that Intel may move to Hexacore however until Intel make a mainstream Hexacore, don't see the iMac moving above Quad Core. AMD APU systems are also Quad Core as well.

Would really push the lower end nMP out as well.

I think you mean a 1366 socket not a 1338 :)

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
Are "curved, high resolution, and huge diagonal" displays especially for gaming?

BTW, anyone knows that will there be a redesigned iMac? What will the iMac be like?

Thanks.

Ed

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Are "curved, high resolution, and huge diagonal" displays especially for gaming?

BTW, anyone knows that will there be a redesigned iMac? What will the iMac be like?

Thanks.

Ed

New MacBook Pros are expected at WWDC in just a few weeks, and this should give an indication of what future iMacs might look like. I would consider it a guarantee that if the new MBPs have USB-C with Thunderbolt 3, Apple will update all their other machines with the same port over time. Given that the current iMacs are going on 4 years since the last redesign, Intel will be releasing Kaby Lake late this summer, and new GPUs will be released at the 14/16nm node, I expect we'll see redesigned iMacs in the Fall.

But no one knows but Apple, and leaks on their computer lineup are rare.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

Thanks.

Ed

No one has any idea what Apple will do its the iMac, Kabylake is actually fairly pointless as it's just a skylake with an improved iGPU and the 27 inch uses a dGPU anyway, so wether they use that is immaterial, ddr4 is likely but currently not that much better than ddr3. Tb3 is great if you want to use external graphics cards and extra 5k monitors, as for a redesign what can they do. Make the bezels a bit smaller make the bulge a bit slimmer.

I don't see curved screens being an option, as the iMac is aimed at the audio/visual professional and I think a curved screen may cause them issues.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple plays close to the vest when it comes to computer redesigns and/or information about newer models. To that point, we will need to wait for the fall to see what is up Apple's sleeve. As @Samuelsan2001 mentioned Kabylake is not really anything special. It was put in, just because Intel is having trouble with thier tick tock design

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.