Will ram be user configurable on the new retina MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by novapain, Jun 12, 2012.

1. novapain macrumors newbie

I was trying to find a thread on here so that this question wasn't repeated and making my first post look poorly choosen. Is there anyone with knowledge on the topic? In the past haven't MBP's had user configurable ram? I know they have been stepping away from this option with the MBA's and could easily see them trying to recapture control at the store for this.

- Nova

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

No it is NOT user upgradable. But to go from 8gb to 16gb is only $200. Sure it is more then 3rd party RAM but just looking at RAM prices for 16gb DDR3 1600 they are running from about $100 to $150ish. I think this should be an automatic upgrade when ordering therefore a non issue with the RAM not being user replaceable.

3. shurcooL macrumors 6502a

I can't find any hard proof anywhere yet (we gotta wait until iFix it does a teardown, I guess), but I think the Retina MBP has soldered RAM just like MBA. If you look at some photos they show as talk about it, they point out how the custom batteries, flash and RAM can be fitted to make better use of available space.

I think this is a pic of the RAM chips being packed very tightly on the mobo, so if this is right, it's not user upgradable. It's what allows them to make the Retina MBP smaller/lighter than the non-Retina MBP.

Edit: Yep, pretty sure it's soldered and hence non-user-upgradable.

[​IMG]

Source: http://www.apple.com/ca/macbook-pro/design/