Will refurb 2.5GHz Classic come with faulty GPU?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daneoni, Nov 1, 2008.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Just curious if i were to order a refurb early 08 that showed up at the online store today would it come with the defective cards still or will it have been fixed?

2. kubricks macrumors member

It it was refurb'd due to faulty GPU, it will be replaced with another faulty GPU, since all Nvidia 8600M used in the Macbook Pro are faulty. If it was not refurb'd due to a GPU issue, it will still have the faulty GPU.

Enjoy.

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

this article says apple says the 2.5GHz MBP may be affected:

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/10/some-macbook-pros-affected-by-nvidia-gpu-failures/

based on that i bought a 2.5GHz model. not a guarantee be any means. i plan to get apple care later on and should be covered.

with past problems (capacitors, batteries) apple started a free extended warrantee program.

if apple starts an extended warrantee program for the 2.5GHz MBP because of possible NVidea problems I won't buy the apple care and save the $349. there is also the chance that no NVIDEA failures with the 2.5GHz MBP come up. in that case i might take the risk and won't buy applecare.

btw:right now apple covers only two years. so it's a bit a gamble if you should get apple care.

but to be honest, i almost hope my GPU fails in 20 month from now because there is a good chance they will upgrade you to a new model.