Will Refurb prices drop when a new generation is announced?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by schnable, Feb 4, 2008.

1. schnable macrumors newbie

I'm ready to buy a MacBook Pro, and the current generation specs fit my needs. But I can't justify the full price of a new one when I know that updates are right around the corner.

The refurbs of the current gen look good to me. But, when the new generation is announced, will the price of the current gen refurbs drop immediately? Will it be when the new gen ships? Or will it be some time after that?

Thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd wait a day at least. It takes a little time for the refurb page to catch up and add another $100-200 off.

3. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

The prices will surely drop, but give it a few days.

4. Sinsocal macrumors newbie

I having been watching the threads for the MBPs for some time now and finally decided to chime in.

I am in the same boat with wanting to buy the current MBP once the update is released. Will the stock that are in the Apple Stores be discounted once the new ones are out? I have thought about going with a refurb but would like to pick up a new one at the stores if possible.

5. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

In the case of the most recent Macbook updates, the refurbished old ones took a month to drop $100 in price.

They won't. The old stock just gets removed and put up on website as refurbished or something. I've never seen an old non-current model on the floor in a store.

6. akadmon macrumors 68010

I have. The stores I go to (MA, NH) keep selling the old models until new stock arrives, which is often as long as a week, sometimes even more. I guess in the eyes of those store managers, just because a product has been announced it does not mean it exists, not until it shows up in the store.

7. Sinsocal macrumors newbie

Are the old models discounted at all or do they keep selling at regular price until the new ones arrive?

It sounds like I might as well go ahead and buy a refurb on the Apple Store since the current models won't be much cheaper even after the new model is out.

8. akadmon macrumors 68010

As an example, the price of a refurb Mac Pro 2.66 quad dropped to $1999 just recently. For a few weeks it was priced at $2199, essentially the same as the new "Harpertown" Mac Pro, had you downgraded from an octo to a quad 2.8Ghz :eek: So the moral of the story is: don't expect a immediate impact on the price of the previous gen MBP refurbs. Steve is always looking for a few suckers willing to overpay.

9. rsm5068 macrumors regular

they should drop a little more, but it may take a few weeks.