Will removing Cydia relock my iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kijo, Nov 5, 2010.

1. kijo, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010

kijo macrumors newbie

I have purchased a used iphone 3gs on firmware 3.1.3 which I want to retain rather than updating to ios4xx

Prior to my purchasing the phone it has been unlocked from its original network (02) in the UK by using Cydia.

I would like to remove Cydia from the phone but if I do so will this relock the phone back to the original carrier 02?

Alternatively, if I get 02 to unlock the phone for me via iTunes and then do a factory restore, will this in turn remove Cydia?

Advice on my best my way of doing this and removing Cydia would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and advice.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The only way you relock is if you restore. Removing Cydia won’t affect that, but why would you want to remove Cydia???

3. kijo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.

I have basically two reasons for wanting to remove Cydia.

1. I am not a great user of apps, using the phone mainly in my work which is with deprived kids in the forest areas of Thailand, so the phone is used 99% for calls, texts and email.

2. I have been told that Cydia can cause instabilty of the os and as the phone has another 15 months left on the Apple Care Warranty, should anything go wrong with it I understand that Apple would consider the warranty void with Cydia installed.

As I said I am open to advice before i make a decision on removing it or not.

4. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

The vast majority here have found that most apps obtained through Cydia do not make the phone unstable. Much less Cydia itself.

Should you need to take your phone into the Apple store, it is as simple as a restore. Once a proper restore is done, they will not be able to tell that the phone was ever jailbroken.

Besides, even if you delete Cydia, but keep your unlock as it is (not from your mobile provider), it sounds like that will be proof enough for Apple that you've been jailbroken and you'll be in the same "voided warranty" boat anyway - again, best to do a restore befor going to Apple.

5. kijo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you that has been very helpful.

I think I will follow your thoughts and will leave things as they are, and as you say, if needed do a full restore if I need to visit Apple under the warranty. :)

6. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

1.then dont touch it.....

2. No one at apple cares and the first thing they do is restore.

7. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

^^Bad advice. Apple will in fact care and may very well decide not to help you with your JB'd phone. Always restore before going to the Apple store for help.

8. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Very bad advice! I have seen Apple Service Representatives ("Geniuses") refuse to service and flag customers for bringing in iPhones that were very obviously jailbroken (from themes etc.)

Always restore your phone before bringing it into Apple!

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Your best bet is to ensure you have your SHSH blobs saved, so you can restore your phone to an iOS that stays on the unlockable baseband (4.0.2 or lower).
    If you haven't been saving your blobs, d/l Tiny Umbrella now and start saving them.

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Two things:
    1) If you remove Cydia then you will remove ultras0w program which is the one that's giving you the unlock. Leave Cydia alone and it shouldn't cause any trouble. If you ever need to take it to the apple store then just reinstall official apple firmware.

2)If you can get O2 to unlock it officially it would be the best, then you would have no trouble using official apple firmware and will not need to use cydia or any jb program again...