Will removing Winterboard Increase my iPhones Preformance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hydrocity, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Well I have an iPhone 3G, and it has custom icons and wallpaper from Winterboard. I was wondering if my iPhone will load apps faster and increase its overall preformance if Winterboard was deleted.

2. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

You don't exactly have to delete it, but having a customized theme on your phone does in fact slow it down. Especially if you don't restart your phone for awhile.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

How extensive are your WB themes and what other jailbroken things are you running?

4. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im using a theme called Illumine (?)

Other jailbroken things are:
    5 icon springboard
    5 icon dock
    SBSettings
    Backgrounder (Dont use it much)
    Cycorder (?)

I think thats about it. I havnt restarted my iPhone for like 3 months...Ill do that tonight

5. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Wow 3 months. that's insane. If you have sb settings i can see you lasting that long (if you close and kill apps regularly) but jesus your phone must suck right now haha

6. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

Your phone must be toooo slow.

Umm yeah you might want to start deleting things lol.

When my phone was jailbroken, all I used was a theme and quick reply and it was very slow.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think he's fine with just that. He just needs to restart.

8. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

Even after a restart, in a couple hours with moderate use and his phone will be fairly slow again

9. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

If you really cant handle the slow. Learn how to backup your iPhone files and directly SSH the files into there correct places. That way it will not have to be loaded by winterboard(I think this works, I have never tried it myself).
    I would just get rid of backgrounder.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

All that stuff will def slow down a 3G. All you need to do to see the impact each of these have is by disabling the MS extensions in SB Settings. Think WB is slowing down your phone, turn off the WB MS extension.

Personally I thing the 5 row column and springboards are impacting you more. But if you want to get rid of WB you can manually change the icons to Illumine.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It’s kind of a give and take though. I have much more on my 3G, but the stuff he has is kind of essential for the jailbreak experience (IMO). Is my 3G slower? Sure. Is it too slow? Not really, if I want all the advantages of having that stuff. If anything, he could get rid of the 5 icon springboard.

For me, I have 5 icon dock and infinidock (so nice to have, which I’d add if I was him). I also have infiniboard, but that’s another one that’s not essential.

Oh, and he didn’t mention Categories. Another essential app, IMO.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I agree, but this was for the sake of his issue. Perhaps I was a little long-winded, but all he needs to do is disable its MS extension with SBSettings to judge what kind of impact it has to the 3G's performance.