Will replacing hard drive get rid of constant freezing and crashes?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by qpzm1234, Feb 15, 2010.

1. qpzm1234 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 2.16 c2duo macbook from '07. The pattern with using this laptop is it starts to really freeze frequently with the message I need to restart after about 8-10 months, and sometimes it completely won't restart after that...I've replaced the hard drive 3 times since getting it. I was wondering if this is basically normal in terms of hard drive life span of 8-10 months, and should I continue to replace the hard drive to improve performance, or should I investigate some other aspect of the laptop causing the computer to perform poorly after about 8 months or so?

Thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd take a look at the logs. I suspect it's something other than the hard drive.

Any panic would give you a detailed output and narrow it down to the specific component.

3. qpzm1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems to occur more frequently when streaming videos...but streaming videos was fine with fresh hard drives...

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's rather strange that replacing the hard drive would be a solution. It sounds like a browser issue. Which version of OS X are you on?

5. qpzm1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

I use firefox, but it freezes on safari as well. Well I was wondering what the average life span of a macbook hard drive is roughly, one that goes through vigourous use every day, ie pro audio apps, videos, downloads, etc. i would like to think it's longer than 8-10 months, but that's always seemed to be the average for mine...

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm hitting 3 years on my 2.5" drives. Some of them have been bare drives attached to a USB 2.0 adapter as well.

You might want to take a look at this as well.