will replacing hard drive in MBP void warranty?

extraid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
10
0
i replaced my RAM and put in 2gb couple months ago, seems like the same type of thing - just - a little more to remove. it's not too terrible is it? i saw the guide on ifixit

before i go an buy that hard drive
HITACHI Travelstar

you dont think a 200gb or bigger will come along anytime soon and make me slighly annoyed i didn't wait? hehe

lastly, i've heard a lot on this but nothing too clear...

does replacing your hard drive on the MBP "void" your warranty/apple care protection plan?

thanks
 

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
903
0
extraid said:
i replaced my RAM and put in 2gb couple months ago, seems like the same type of thing - just - a little more to remove. it's not too terrible is it? i saw the guide on ifixit

before i go an buy that hard drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145113

you dont think a 200gb or bigger will come along anytime soon and make me slighly annoyed i didn't wait? hehe

lastly, i've heard a lot on this but nothing too clear...

does replacing your hard drive on the MBP "void" your warranty/apple care protection plan?

thanks
yes
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
They will probably honor the warranty, but it is VERY easy to break something inside if you are not familar... obviously such accidents won't be covered under warranty too... don't do it!
 

extraid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
10
0
generik said:
They will probably honor the warranty, but it is VERY easy to break something inside if you are not familar... obviously such accidents won't be covered under warranty too... don't do it!
i've built pc's and added 2gb ram to the MBP and 2gb to my pc laptop...
i am pretty familiar, i just want to make sure it isnt god-awful to do :eek:
 

Bill Gates

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2006
2,494
14
127.0.0.1
extraid said:
i've built pc's and added 2gb ram to the MBP and 2gb to my pc laptop...
i am pretty familiar, i just want to make sure it isnt god-awful to do :eek:
There's a wee bit of a difference between upgrading memory and changing the hard drive on a MacBook Pro.
 

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
2,573
0
Clemson, SC
extraid said:
i've built pc's and added 2gb ram to the MBP and 2gb to my pc laptop...
i am pretty familiar, i just want to make sure it isnt god-awful to do :eek:
there's a HUGE difference in upgrading RAM vs. upgrading the HD in the MBP. i'm not suggesting you not do the upgrade - that is your choice alone - but i don't want you to go into it thinking that it'll be as breezy as slippin two dimms into their slots and calling it a day.

as for the warranty: i think if you had a prick of a technician, then yeah, he might write off something as your fault.. BUT it's not so clear-cut as "yes, this will completely void your warranty." obviously, if something goes wrong with your new HD, then they won't cover that. but if, say, something goes wrong with your LCD, then they obviously won't try to blame that on your HD upgrade.
 

extraid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
10
0
that's a good point...

all right, here is my last question then - if i was to take to this the apple "genius" center - would they be able to upgrade the hard drive? or would I need a 3rd party?

thanks again for all the help guys!
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
extraid said:
that's a good point...

all right, here is my last question then - if i was to take to this the apple "genius" center - would they be able to upgrade the hard drive? or would I need a 3rd party?

thanks again for all the help guys!
They can do the upgrade for you, but you will be paying for the "Apple authorised part" which is basically the same thing with a small Apple logo on its label. It'd definitely cost more than what you got off newegg, but on the upside you will be covered on that part if you purchase Applecare as well, so ultimately you will have to make the call.
 

extraid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
10
0
yeah, i suppose that's true - i'll call them and see how much it'd cost to put a 160gb (or bigger) in..

thanks everyone!