Will replacing the optical drive with SSD void warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tmanto02, Apr 15, 2012.

1. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I want to replace my optical drive with an SSD, I have ordered a SATA drive caddy online.

I believe that removing the optical drive will void the warranty, but I have also heard that if something goes wrong with the computer and I put everything back to the way it was, then I am covered under warranty again.

Can anybody shed some light on this??

2. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Apple obviously don't want to have to cover damage you do to your computer if you're fiddling with things you shouldn't be. And in Apple's opinion, replacing the Superdrive is not something you should be doing.

So if you are careful, and don't damage anything while you are replacing the Superdrive, you should be fine. If something happens later, unrelated to the drive conversion, and you then swap back the superdrive before sending it in for repair, Apple will never know that you did the conversion.

So, if you don't damage anything while you're inside, there should be no ethical obligation to admit anything to Apple, assuming they would care. Even if you sent it into Apple with the Superdrive removed, they may simply refuse repairs until you return the unit to factory conditions. Although I wouldn't test that if I were you.