Will Restore ALWAYS work?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by adamman41, Oct 17, 2007.

1. adamman41 macrumors regular

no matter how much i add apps and jailbreak and what not, will restore always always work if i ever wanted the normal ipod again or to update, it should always work right?

2. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'm going to add a question to the thread (probably a stupid one) but you restore through itunes is that right?

3. dagored macrumors 65816

open itunes
    -plug ipod into computer
    -hold both sleep/wake and home button until ipod restarts.
    -let go of of the sleep/wake button when you see apple logo.
    -hold home button until itunes pops up with recovery mode
    -click yes, and your ipod with be restored to its factory settings.

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

What's wrong with just clicking "restore" in iTunes?

5. dagored macrumors 65816

Nothing if it will let you. Some people are having trouble. This solves it.

6. SpeksETC macrumors newbie

What about 1.1.2

Correct me if I'm wrong (and please correct me), but right NOW restore seems to always work.
    There is a chance that when version 1.1.2 comes out, you will not be able to restore since iTunes will not allow you to restore to older versions, and there is no guarantee that the upgrade to 1.1.2 will not brick the ipod (intentionally or unintentionally)...right?

7. adamman41 thread starter macrumors regular

wait why?

8. SpeksETC macrumors newbie

It has been verified worldwide that restoring to factory 1.1.1 from a hacked 1.1.1 works fine, but no one has (or can) verify that restoring a hacked 1.1.1 to a 1.1.2 will work fine (since it isnt out yet ;)
    The only way to be 100% sure of a successful upgrade to 1.1.2, is to restore the ipod touch to factory 1.1.1, and upgrade from there.
    The problem is, once 1.1.2 comes out, you won't be able to restore to 1.1.1, since iTunes forces you to restore to the latest version.
    Am I missing something here (please someone tell me I am, I am dying to hack this mofo!)

9. Fra.92 macrumors newbie

if you've already downloaded the 1.1.1 restorer and you don't let itunes to connect to the internet(with a firewall or anything else) you can restore at anytime to 1.1.1. I think also that apple won't brick hacked iTouch, once apple dosen't really care about that; maybe with iPhone there is a risk, because apple earn money with branded phones

10. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Don't download the update. If you need to restore disconnect from the interwebs then restore. If you have upgraded to 1.1.1 as most have, you should have the software already on your computer in /applications/utilities/ipod update/ipod software 1.1.1 something (not at my mac right now, actualy filename may vary

11. SpeksETC macrumors newbie

Interesting idea...it's easy not to download the new update, but I'm pretty sure iTunes updates some file that the latest version (in this hypothetical example) is 1.1.2, so even if you restore not connected to the internet it may not work.
    I found these instructions about downgrading the iphone though, seems like they can easily work for the ipod:

# Keeping your iPhone docked:
    1. Slide to unlock
    2. Hold down home button and power button for about 10 seconds or until the screen goes black.
    3. Release the power button but continue holding the home button.
    4. After about 10 seconds the computer will detect the iPhone in restore mode, and iTunes should tell you that the phone needs to be restored.

# Shift + Click Restore (Windows) or Option + Click Restore (Mac), then point to the file below (use .dmg file in download file).

Can anyone confirm? I'm going try it when I get home....

12. adamman41 thread starter macrumors regular

info on how to block itunes from internet?

13. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

Disallow it with a firewall is a very easy way on windows, only just got a mac so not sure if you're on a mac

14. adamman41 thread starter macrumors regular

im on windows so how do u do it? this is smart to make sure i can restore right?