Will reviews cause Apple to upgrade iPod touch now?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jne381, Sep 22, 2007.

1. jne381 macrumors regular

With reviews of the iPod Touch, like Walt Mossberg's that say it is a good device but point out its unnecessary flaws, cause Apple to fix this product now, instead of waiting for the second generation.

Such as:

1. Crippled software. I know a lot of dumb-ass people are saying it is a media device and not a PDA, so it doesn't need all the apps the iPhone has. This is a bad argument. The programs are already written, the device uses the same processor, and the same touch interface. There is no logical reason not to include them that I can think of. If you don't need them, you don't have to use them.

2. Battery Life. As Walt Mossberg pointed out, the battery life is is significantly shorter than Apple's normally conservative estimates. I don't know what caused this, perhaps using a sub-par manufacturer in order to cut costs. If so, will they change suppliers in order to get the expected results.

I know changing the manufacturing process has been slow in the past, but Apple's quickness in resolving the screen issue leads me to think anything is possible at this point. Especially if they are getting some negative feedback from the media about them.

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

You make some good arguments. I certainly hope they upgrade it, but I'm not holding my breath.

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

No.

1st gen products get things like manufacturing glitches fixed. Next will be software/firmware fixes.

Remember, it's OS X's turn for the spotlight and attention next month. Then it's the holiday season!

I would imagine the deal is to get all their products "tight" by the time holiday shopping starts.

Then, new fun stuff early next year.

Enjoy your new iPod and the holidays...

4. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I'm afraid expecting the current product to be "uncrippled," at least by Apple, is wishful thinking. But hopefully as the iPhone gets better, the Touch's relative gimpiness won't be as bad.

5. ascender macrumors 68020

I know that its not a PDA, but it can obviously be used as one. And if they removed a couple of the restrictions on software, it would be a damn good PDA. I'm not really sure why they've made the decision to restrict some functions as it seems there's a market for an iPhone without the phone but with everything else on board.

The hackers seem to be on the case already, so hopefully they'll be able to unlock its true potential.

6. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

they wont release a 2cd generation before april next year.

7. California King macrumors 65816

I really hope they do something about all this. What I want is more apps, 30GB HDD, and I'm not sure how bad the battery life is, but better battery life would be nice. :) Do that Apple and I'll be more than glad to give you my money!

8. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

It's possible. That Walt Mosserg review is the only non-glowing Apple review I ever remember him giving. iLounge had a surprisingly negative review as well...

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

As one of the dumb-ass people, the logical reason to withhold those extra applications is to save sales of the iPhone. It's the same reason Apple hasn't put good graphics hardware into the MacBook--they don't want to take away a reason for people to buy the MacBook Pro.

I'd like to have a PDA made my Apple but the iPod touch is a music player that happens to hold information that you can view. They may add to the functionality to make it more PDA-like, as they upgrade the iPhone with new functionality but they won't risk cannibalising sales of either.

10. iShak macrumors 6502

if it is the reviews that will make Apple come up with better products and not the customer demand then there is a serious flaw in Apple's philosophy.

11. ooALoo macrumors newbie

I love this device. In fact I'm writing this very post on my newly purchased iPod touch. After a few hours use I can hand on heart say that this is the best mp3 player I have ever used. However some of the points raised in the various reviews I have to agree with.

The lack of any form of note taking app or the ability to edit the calender from the device itself seem to be massive oversights and apples response that it wishes to differentiate it from the iPhone seem unfounded. Hopefully Apple will here these complaints and make a great machine even greater.

12. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

If you haven't noticed, Apple does what Apple wants to do and no review, be it good or bad is going to make Apple change their position on what they see the product's feature set or functionality will/should be.

13. DaveGee macrumors 6502a

I'm with the rest of you....

It's gotta be:

Faster
    Cheaper
    Better Screen
    Thiner
    Lighter
    More Storage

And oh yea most important... for gosh sakes you better give us better battery life too!!! :p :rolleyes:

For a serious comment:

Apple for once do the right thing and PLEASE unlock/allow 3rd party software... You know someone is going to figure out how to crack/jailbreak/whatever it anyway... :p

Dave

14. jne381 thread starter macrumors regular

Your argument does not translate into the iPhone/iPod Touch realm. The MacBook and the MacBook Pro have different hardware, and as such, the one with the better hardware will have higher costs. The Touch essentially has the same hardware as the iPhone, minus the stuff necessary for the phone.

Your comparison would make more sense if Apple didn't allow Final Cut to be installed on a MacBook or iMac. Sure those machines could handle the program, but it is a professional app and they want to keep it only on Pro machines, so people will have to buy them to use the program.

Does that scenario sound stupid? Yes. Why? Because it is stupid. The same reason it is stupid not to include those iPhone apps on the Touch.

15. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

You lot just have to wait until its hack-didily-hacked, then we can have whatever iPhone apps we want :D the fact I know its going to be eventually hacked is the only reason im really buying it, I wouldnt buy it if I knew those built-in apps would be the only ones I could ever use on the device.

16. ascender macrumors 68020

So looking at the missing apps/features, what are the key ones needed to turn it in to a usable PDA?

- Note taking
    - Ability to add a contact
    - Full diary editing
    - Mail app

I'm assuming all of these are available on the iPhone?

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's a business decision and just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it stupid. I'd be very surprised if you sold similar products and gave most everything away so that you sold many more of the lower-priced items at the expense of the higher-priced items.

I think you're confusing your desire with business. If Apple did everything their customers wanted, they'd be out of business.

18. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

I imagine a firmware update will add a few features here and there, although I get the weirdest feeling they'll be small, like when they added a brightness control to 5th Gen iPods.

However, if the Touch is hacked to allow 3rd Party Apps or something along those lines, Apple may go down a similar route as Sony did with the PSP, i.e., when someone hacks the latest firmware, release a new firmware with some sort of must have feature so that everyone updates, and quietly break the hack in the process.

I don't know if Apple will be as bothered about hacked iPod though, they might just care about hacked iPhones.

19. s57 macrumors member

You're certainly right about that - it's a business decision. Whether or not it is stupid remains to be seen, though. As I said before, there are millions of Palm users who will be looking for a replacement of their aging products (Palm is on its way out) and the Touch would have been the perfect product. So, yes, it's a business decision, and Apple is deciding to ignore those customers. It is exactly the customer's desires that translate into sales dollars, and I for one will not buy an iPod Touch because of exactly the reasons stated here.

20. s57 macrumors member

Yes, though it's even worse than that - iCal and notes and mail are functions that many people would use. It would be like not allowing Mail and iWork to be installed on iMacs and Mac Books and just allowing people to use them as media hubs.

Kind of leaves a bad impression if Apple decides that iPod users are not busy or important enough to want to edit their calendars, take notes, and check their E-mail on the road... (is this device really only meant for teen agers?)

21. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A100a Safari/419.3)

I don't care, I'm really happy with my iPod. It does what I want it to, and more

22. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Wernt Apple "neutral" about the iPhone hacks? No iPhone updated to date have stopped any hacks working.

Even if Apple do end up doing what Sony do with the PSP then also, like the PSP, the new firmwares will always be hacked. My PSP has got 3.52 M33, one of the newer "custom firmwares" that are hacked versions of Sony's firmwares that let you run homebrew apps and ISOs, some other cool stuff too! So if Apple do end up going down that road, something similer will most likely happen.

23. thegrue macrumors member

That KINDA makes sense in the US, UK, Germany, and France. So what about the other six billion people on the planet who can't buy the iPhone? Furthermore, what about the people who don't want to use a third-rate data network even if the iPhone IS available where they are?

As it goes right now, Apple is taking a "Buy an iPhone if you're in the US, UK, Germany or France, and **** you if you're not" stance, and it's ridiculous. Then again, Apple has been crippling functionality and crapping on their customers for years, I don't know why I'm expecting anything different on this.

24. jlbrown23 macrumors member

I am in agreement with you on this, but I think there are a few even more obvious things that are missing that need to be addressed - because the are related to the iPod as a media player(what all the folks defending the unnecessary crippling on Calendar entry, etc are saying);

1.Support of more streaming media through safari(ra, wma)

2.Support of Flash in Safari

3.Support of downloading of media files

Those are my more minor ones(and also I understand that Apple has good reasons for not wanting to do them). REALLY glaring gaps:

4.Syncing with Itunes through WiFi(so I can leave my Touch in my car & still sync)

5.The ability to download Podcasts - especially ones currently available on the iTunes Store

I love my Touch & am glad I got it. But I get the feeling that Apple is missing the boat a little. They have a great device, but if they allowed it to be what it could be they would have a world changing device. It just gives me that late-1980's Mac feeling all over again - Apple would have won the OS war hands down with a little more openness and a little less arrogance, but they kept the system closed and the prices high and now we're all stuck suffering with Windows(not at home of course, but at many of our jobs). I compare the iPhone & the Touch to a Blackberry or a Zen and it's like seeing Windows 3.0 vs System 7 all over again - the fight would be over if you allowed your fighter to use both hands. Instead in 10 years I'll be stuck hitting Blackberry keys with a toothpick, reading the screen with a magnifying glass and wondering why this thing is WORSE than the iPhone that was available a decade earlier.

This is what makes people nervous about Apple holding back - we've been here before and we don't want to see it turn out the same again.

25. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

True, but gimping your products can lead to customer dissatisfaction and less profits in the long run. I say 'gimp' because it costs Apple nothing to include the software features that were included in the iPhone. Also, I'm not sure what the line of reasoning is for allowing creation and editing of contacts, but not calendar events. And eliminating the Notes app but not having some form of read-only-notes which have been in the iPod since G2 IIRC.

I do understand your general point though. I'm not saying what is smarter for them to do, but just adding it's a 2-way street.

I mean, are there that many people in the world who are going to buy an iPhone instead of a Touch because of creating calendar events? It seems much more like a minor grip that just bugs people, rather than a differentiating feature.