Will rMBC 13" get a discrete graphic card next year?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vaio1990, Dec 4, 2012.

1. vaio1990 macrumors member

vaio1990

I find 15-inch to be too big for me... I'm praying for a dedicated graphic card in rMBP 13" next year... do you guys think that is possible? I'm a casual gamer

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Doubt it. Haswell is supposed to increase integrated graphics performance to about double, as well as add dedicated VRAM to some of the mobile chips (which will probably be the ones that Apple uses).

If they thought that Ivy Bridge's graphics were good enough for the 13" RMBP, then I don't see why they wouldn't find Haswell's to be.

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

No it won't. Apple's done a good job with the configuration it has.

5. vaio1990 thread starter macrumors member

vaio1990

I'd kill for a rMBP with dedicated graphic card.... I'll buy it even if it'll cost $2000

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I do understand, and share your feelings, however I know Apple pretty well and it's just not in the cards.

Especially in this current climate of iDevices and Mobile everything. :)

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If they didn't implement a discrete card with the HD3000, I don't see it coming now. Some of their notebooks retailed around $1000 a few years ago with that stupid GMA "leftover transistor repository" graphics chip. Given that the trend in general computing is toward integrated graphics, I doubt they'd go against that now. It's like how people have wanted a mid/mini tower desktop. If Apple was going to produce one, it probably would have already happened.

8. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering if the 15" rMBP will LOSE the GPU on the Haswell iteration.

I can't imagine they would ADD a GPU to the 13" when Haswell is expected to double GPU performance.

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Two very good points.

That brought me out of the fog...ha..ha..ha... :D

10. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

due to the small size of the thirteen inch, and thinness of it, it will probably not going to have enough cooling. the heat sink wouldn't be able to dissipate heat fast enough to keep both the cpu and gpu cool under load. even if they were able to integrate a discrete gpu in there, it will probably be a low end that's probably not worh a crap for the premium they will charge, and you will still face with heating problem. it just doesn't appear like a very efficient solution.

11. raptorstv macrumors 6502

yeah but from 2010, macbook pro had always used geforce nvidia graphics

12. Exana macrumors regular