Will RMBP be enough?? How can I tell??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sean Dempsey, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I am thinking of getting a retina MBP. I don't like it when the OS is choppy or lags or freezes, so I am wondering if the retina MBP has enough power to really be snappy.

I mainly use it for:
    - Facebook
    - Twitter
    - Websites
    - Instant Messaging
    - Word Processing
    - Powerpoints

but I also play music and movies sometimes. If I had ALL the above running, would it be able to handle it all smoothly, or do I need to max out the CPU and RAM? Would it be better to get a regular MBP and get a data doubler and do a RAID0 with 2 SSD's?

2. simsaladimbamba

Any Mac from 2009 can handle that ****, 8 GB would be advised though.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Any Mac model, including the mini, can easily handle all the requirements you mentioned. The RMBP is overkill for the needs you described.

4. leenak macrumors 68020

My cheap $800 MacBook could handle your needs. An RMBP would actually be overkill. Maybe look into the MB Air?

5. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

The base model will be able to do all this easily. :)

6. Asmodan macrumors newbie

The base $2,200 model will not be able to handle handle the complexities of Facebook, twitter and email. Better load up for the maxed out $3,700 version.

7. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

No one has addressed if it would be better to put 2 SSD's in a regular MBP and stripe them in a RAID0.

8. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Hey, guys, while we're at it, I like to go to the grocery store a few times a week, and sometimes on Saturday we take the scenic back roads to go to the Outback over in the next town. Do you think I can get by with a stock model Porsche, or should I be spending the extra money on an upgraded engine?

Which is to say: Nothing you are describing doing is a significant load on a computer.

9. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the amount of hard drive space you have on your computer has virtually no impact on any of the things you listed. Their performance will only ever be impacted if you have the harddrive almost completely full, to the point where saving took a long time because it wasn't finding enough open area to save.

Everything you mentioned will have performance based on processor, ram, graphics hardware, and internet speed. All of those factors are more than powerful enough on the new macbook pro. The only factor that may be lacking is the internet speed, depending on where you are.

So no, striping 2 SSD's in a RAID0 will not make a difference, except for allowing you to save more files

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That depends on how hungry you are and how far away the grocery store is! :D

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You'll not really see the performance gains in stripping SSD drives as you would with hard drives. There is no latency, to deal with so you remove that from the equation.

12. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

facebook and email? geez I think maybe you need a maxed out mac pro for your needs.

13. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Technically better? Possibly. Except that then you are risking your data across two potential drive failures (however rare they may be).

Worth it? No, based on your listed usage.

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

At $2,799 I'd say that it's more than enough...Oh, I see. Considering my phone can do all of those pretty much simultaneously, I'm sure the RMBP (is that really what we're calling it?) will be fine.

15. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I think thats the minimum I would actually buy two so he can split the load more easily :p

16. mikepro macrumors 6502

Ahhh... so many LOL's in this thread.

Any current macbook will serve you well.

17. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Since you are not doing any heavy photo or video editing, no point unless you want a saving of 0.25 second start-up time. That or you are a benchmark junky.

You could just buy a baseline 13" air and use the extra money for something else, Facebook shares for example. :D

18. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

Well, if you mean SATA 3 SSDs that will only work in the 13" MBP if both SATA ports are reporting 6Gbps link speed. In the 15" and 17" MBPs where both ports report 6Gbps a SATA 3 drive will actually completely fail to work in the optical bay. I have an early 2011 15" that only reports 3Gbps in the optical bay, and striped SATA 3 SSDs work but obviously clock down to 3Gbps and so there is no benefit at all.

Note: Not seen any reports about whether the SATA issue has been fixed in the refreshed 15".

19. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I like making phone calls and txting. Sometimes I like to check my email and tweet. No photos.

Will the iPhone 4S work for me?