Will running Windows 8 shorten rMBP life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bem809, Jun 20, 2013.

1. bem809 macrumors newbie

I've read that due to driver compatibility issues, the rMBP utilizes only discrete graphics when running on Windows. Also, the laptop runs really hot when I'm watching videos and playing games on Windows.

Will this significantly shorten the time until I'll need to replace my rMBP as opposed to if I run it exclusively on OS X?

2. Livewings macrumors regular

Due to Apple's emulated BIOS, the discrete graphics is the only graphics seen by Windows. You could eliminate that issue by booting using UEFI but I heard there are troubles getting the integrated graphics and sound to work due to the integrated drivers.

So yes, rMBP will reduce the battery life in Windows.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Generally heat will always hurt the life time. Especially the battery. But at the end of the day if you use it a lot it also pays for its price much more. Not using it for stuff you want to do just to preserve it won't do you any good.
    Just expect to replace it in 3-4 years and even under lots of full load it should last you long enough.

It is definitely not a good idea to use Windows all the time (better to get a Windows notebook for that usage) but if you need for gaming it will survive long enough until it will be such slow outdated hardware that you will want to replace it anyway.

4. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

rMBP is programmed to trigger a self-destruct if you use windows or linux... :D

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Running the Win8 beta almost shorten my life. I gave up and came back to Mac.

6. hockeyfanatic macrumors member

Just buy a $280 Lenovo windows 8 laptop for windows crap.
    Use the mac for the good stuff.:)

7. Grohowiak macrumors member

Grohowiak

SMC fan control.
    Set it to higher RPM.
    Reboot straight to WIN.
    Your laptop runs cooler now.

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Yes and it so enjoyable having fans running full tilt while you just watch a video. Right now it is so hot here I am glad I can just use the IGP in OSX and watch videos at bearable 3-4000 rpm while just turning the dGPU on almost necessitates full speed.
    30C room temp sucks.

When playing games smc really doesn't make a difference as you have full speed fans anyway.