Will Samsung 840s be used in Macs soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boto, Sep 25, 2012.

1. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Will Apple change their SSD options to the Samsung 840 for their Mac lineup when it is available or will they continue using the 830s? This article states it will be available in mid-October time frame, so would it be wise to purchase a rMBP now or wait for Apple to hopefully make the switch?

2. Bangolufsen macrumors member

I doubt it
    At Least not that soon
    That seems like something apple would prefer to change during a refresh

3. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

I going to agree that we won't see a running change on this line of MBPs. Althought the rumored 13 retina may get it. Along with the next gen iMacs

4. boto thread starter macrumors 6502

boto

Finally the Samsung 840 Pro SSDs are listed on Amazon! Does anyone think Apple will silently update the 15" rMBP with the new SSD + CPU incremental bump when the 13" rMBP releases next week? It would be a great time to do so while holiday season is near and they should might as well add it in while improving the heat dissipation and display issues (IR).

Here are the links to Amazon's Samsung 840 Pro SSDs: 256GB and 512GB

Both models are 540MB/s read and 520MB/s write, compared to Samsung's 830s of 520/400 MB/s read/write. Also, note that Samsung released a Pro SSD and a non-pro.

5. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

It's certainly possible. Apple once updated the SSD controller used in the MacBook Air mid-cycle, and if they do use the 840 in the 13" Retina MacBook Pro then they might well also use it in a slightly revised 15" model.

It's also possible Apple will phase out their use of Samsung controllers. I think the days of Samsung being primary suppliers for Apple components may be numbered.