Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nofd1236

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
I'm new to the forum and have read many posts, but I do have a question.
Do you guys think the lower end model 21.5 inch 3.06 I3 currently, if revamped, would it see sandy bridge or only medium grade models and up? I looking to purchase in a few days for my first mac.. I can only get the wife to agree to the lower end with no upgrades and debating what to do? If its not gonna change other than from I3 to possible I5 there isn't a major difference correct? I will be using for college work, photos nothing business worthy yet, home videos and amateur web design. I would be fine with current low end model and possibly a ext 1TB HD and maybe a RAM upgrade eventually right?

Thoughts, comments????

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
I'd expect to see sandy bridge and thunderbolt (or whatever it is called) appearing in all the iMacs in the next few months. Maybe a graphics update as well.

There is a modest bump from the current i3 to a sandy bridge i5. I'd be more excited about thunderbolt, maybe not now but in a year or two there will be more accessories that work with it. It is super fast!

iMac RAM can be upgraded, but not as easily as with the MBs. 4GB is enough for day to day stuff.

The current iMac will do fine for you, even the base model is loverly (my parents have one). We don't have any strong rumours on when an update would be, but it would be quite a good one.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Sandy Bridge costs the same so there is no good reason why Apple would not use them in all iMacs. It's unlikely that Apple will use i5 in the base iMac but i3 Sandy Bridge is faster than the current i3. The CPU upgrade is probably unnoticeable for you but I would still wait due to other upgrades (such as Thunderbolt).

macabouttobe

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2007
Michigan
Based on a refresh coming up I'd wait unless you absolutely need it.

Post-refresh you'll be able to see what's out there. If you don't like what you see you'll be able to buy that "low-end" one you have your eye on at a discount.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Sandy Bridge costs the same so there is no good reason why Apple would not use them in all iMacs. It's unlikely that Apple will use i5 in the base iMac but i3 Sandy Bridge is faster than the current i3. The CPU upgrade is probably unnoticeable for you but I would still wait due to other upgrades (such as Thunderbolt).

Do you know why they wouldn't use an i5 in their base iMac when the base MacBook Pro has it? I plan on getting a base 27" so it is moot however I am genuinely curious.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Do you know why they wouldn't use an i5 in their base iMac when the base MacBook Pro has it? I plan on getting a base 27" so it is moot however I am genuinely curious.

Uuuhh ... iMac was released on 2010, so the basic 27" iMac still use intel i3, which at that time was quite OK, you compare it with Macbook Pro 2011, which quite irrelevant. If you're willing to wait, i believe base model iMac 2011 will get intel i5 Sandy Bridge too, and also discrete Radeon HD 6xxx , that's how you should compare them

You'll see 2011 iMac should ditch MBP 2011 out of water .. but yess iMac destined to be immobile and more powerful than MBP

zulkiflim

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
Singapore
Heya

Sandy bridge will definitely come to Mac...

But i sincerely hope Apple would withhold till Intel has done due diligence on the new "fix" for the flawed design.

I would not want to buy a new 27 iMac with SSD :apple::apple:;);), to have it fail prematurely.

But people who do buy I would suggest purchasing apple care with it.

Intel has already lost close 1 billion in recall. So Apple pls HOLD OFF.

BobbyCat

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Beyond
Thoughts, comments????

As already mentioned in the thread, an upgrade should be just round the corner, so Sandy Bridge or not on all new models, it's probably worth waiting, if you can.
Maybe 4-5 weeks?
Normally you should get more for the same money, and the current refurbs should be a little cheaper. A price increase :eek: on the base model is always possible, but fortunately, doesn't happen often.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

MBP never had i3. There is only one mobile SB i3 though. Using SB meant that Apple no longer needs to spend extra $ on NVidia graphics, thus allowing it to use more expensive CPUs, even in the low-end.

In iMac, Apple will most likely stick with discrete GPUs in all models, otherwise there would be a huge loss in GPU performance. Desktop i3 is still faster than dual core mobile i5s and i7s so no need to worry.

I would expect base 21.5" to use i3 while all other models will use i5s and i7s (and thus be quad core)

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Are upgrades to MacBook Pro good indicators of potential upgrades to iMacs? Meaning, if MBP gets SandyBridge/Thunderbolt, iMacs will get it too? Has that always been the trend?

I'm wondering if Apple will switch to AMD Fusion processors like it was rumored back in December...

nofd1236

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
I think i may just bight the bullet and go ahead and purchase the current imac 21.5'... my wife and i really just need a reliable computer to get through this semester.. we are having so many pc issues and the base imac 21.5 seems to be my best bang for buck. Even though i would love to wait, for her its a major issue. We dont necessarilly have to have the best mac out there... things are constantly being updated.. I would love to get the new 2011 rumored model but if not in 4-6 from the thread on March 22nd, when???? 6 months? I cant wait that long.. Im sure the I3 desktop cpu will do us just fine. Or at least i hope.. If not i can always add more ram. Also ordered her a ipad2 today. It will take approx. 3 weeks w/ delivery time included according to apple store. :)))))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.