Will Saturday be hopeless?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jlmitnick, Mar 11, 2011.

1. jlmitnick macrumors regular

I've never gotten a marquee apple product around release. Was just wondering if this kind of stuff is hopeless to find on day 2, or if Apple usually has supply to last the weekend?

If anyone has a good memory for the iPad 1 release for example.

2. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

I pre-ordered my first gen iPad. On launch day I went with a buddy to get his and they ran out. He wasnt able to get one for about another 2 weeks.

3. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

Its looking more and more like they may be tough to get. With the shipping estimates so high online right now more people will line up. Supposedly they are suppose to get a new shipment tomorrow but im sure theyll be a line for those as well.

4. orangecrushv macrumors regular

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

From what I can remember the iPad 1 sold out fairly quickly in most places, other then best buy. People didn't realize that they were carrying it on day one and so there were no lines or too many shoppers buying them there.

I think for the iPad2 that's not going to happen, but with that said, there are more retail channels then the iPad 1. Consider Best Buy, WalMart, Target and VZW/ATT.

6. jlmitnick thread starter macrumors regular

Will that fact that this is a more expensive product ($499 minimum) possibly mean less people than the $199 iphone releases??

One can only hope :)

7. dionnfr macrumors member

I don't believe the shipping estimates on line have anything to do with availability at the stores, we have more retail stores this time than we did for the IPAD, it all depends as to where you live, small city town maybe yes, large towns where you have apple stores, Walmart, Best Buy, AT&T, Verizon and Target should be no problem, how many IPAD 2 will be sold today anyway. I highly doubt that all retail stores will sell out their stock in one day unless they only have a limited number.

8. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

But it's also a much bigger (size) item, so they keep less in stock.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No. I'm sure like every other launch, Apple Stores will receive new stock on Sat. The key is to be @ the store tonight. If they run out. IF. They will take your name to reserve a unit for Sat.

10. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

make that two of us

with all the stores selling I'm thinking I'll have a good shot today.

11. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Forget Saturday ... how about Sunday? ;)

We're making it a family field trip. The kids love going to the Apple Store, but I'm afraid they might get frustrated with a huge crowd. I'm thinking that waiting until Sunday might reduce the expected congestion and the kids will have a better experience.

ft

12. deadwalrus macrumors regular

The Apple store by me never ran out of the iPad 1. There were lines the night before for the iPhone 4. I saw the people camped out on my way to work in the morning. Which made it all the more hilarious when I stopped by after work on release day and picked one up with zero wait.

I expect similar things today. Get off the Apple forums and get out into the fresh air. These forums are an echo chamber where the .0001% of the population who get hard-ons over Apple products wank off to the hype and fear stirred up by Apple for all new releases. Get over it.

13. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

This needs to be posted on the front page of Macrumors, IMO.

:D

14. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

No. I went on Monday last year and they had limited stock but I got one. I plan on checking a Best Buy tonight and possibly an Apple store. If I don't succeed I'm going back tomorrow.

15. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

16. T4R06 macrumors 65816

apple learned... it will be a high stock for sure

17. muu macrumors member

yeah, I do hope so. With Ipad1 being so good already a lot of people IMHO are going to not bother buying for a long time if they can't immediately get their hands on one.

18. T4R06 macrumors 65816

it seems getting busier.. checked online now and its 2-3 weeks now! :eek:

19. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I wouldn't count on being able to get one even the day after. You're better off at different stores like best buy.

20. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Everybody gets a hard on for something. Some folks get all excited when the new Corvette is shown. Others are wild about latest Louis Vuitton handbag. And then there are those who will line up to be the first to see the latest blockbuster franchise sci-fi epic movie.

The folks on here love Apple products.

Anyways, what you've said is so true.

21. johnc22 macrumors 6502

Flagship store in Atlanta reportedly has 75+ people in line expected to triple by 3PM, and they've stated that if the line gets much larger not everyone will get one. I'm basing this on the meetup thread for Atlanta. I will probably not get one today, though if I drop by it should already be known whether or not they have one for me or not, so I won't have to wait if they don't.