Will SDHC work in a SD in '09 Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ca$hflow, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

I have a macbook pro with the SD read/writer. My question is when I get my new camera with a SDHC card will I still be able to import my photos? From what I gather on the internet the difference was the read/write speeds are faster. I know SDHC card reader/writer is backward compatible with a SD card. I just couldn't confirm the if it works the other direction.

2. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

SDHC is SD High Capacity, meaning over 2gb (up to 32gb). The write speeds can be class 2 - 10, read speeds are pretty much standard iirc. I am not sure but would just have to assume the built-in reader is SDHC (maybe even SDXC on newer models) compatible.

3. Ca$hflow thread starter macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

My reader on the macbook pro is a SDSC. Will it read a SDHC card? The new 2011 macbook pros have a SDHC reader that is backward compatible with SDSC for sure. Not sure in my case thou.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yes my 2009 MBP reads SDHC cards just fine. I use an 8GB card in my camera with no issues being read on my MBP.

5. Ca$hflow thread starter macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

So looks like the only difference now is that it reads and writes to those newer cards at the older read/write speeds. Thank you