Will Series 2 have a better speaker?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by betabeta, Sep 10, 2016.

1. betabeta macrumors 6502a

I was 99% sure I was not going to upgrade, BUT, I saw Series 2 gained a second mic... so I went and ordered it, the second mic pushed me over, LOL. I am really hoping it also has a better speaker too.

Speaker will be improved somewhat, right? schematics look like it's different. I sure hope so.

2. KrisLord macrumors 65816

It's different because of the water resistance feature. It's designed to use the speaker vibrating to empty the speaker chamber of water.

Whether or not it sounds better we don't know.

3. dusters711 macrumors regular

I was wondering the same thing. I saw that the Keynote said it was redesigned, and I was hoping part of the redesign included making it louder. Using Gen 1 to answer a quick call is usually ridiculous as I have my Watch shoved into my ear.

4. techno-Zen macrumors 6502

Honestly, i'm kind of surprised that it wasn't reported on.. Big reason for me not to upgrade, also with no facetime camera. It's basically the same watch just faster. (Waterproofing and GPS isn't close to good enough for me)

5. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Can you 'see up my nose' now, can you 'see up my' nose now?:eek::D

6. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

I didn't really consider the speaker volume. But I highly doubt they would jeopardize the speaker volume for water proofing. Be interesting to see the speaker volume. Speaker only works when in a low volume room.

7. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

I'll just add a little. The speaker is an armature driver (which makes it easier to design for water resistance). Also one of the main obstacles is power consumption. In order to rase the volume 3dB which would be only a slight increases would require 2x as much power. To raise the volume level to what we perceive as about twice as loud requires 10x as much power. In the :apple:Watch everything MUST be subservient to the battery and power management and having a louder speaker would likely be low on the list to subtract from the limited power available slots on the design chart.

8. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

Yes, because new hardware are always better <3

9. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Good question. A louder speaker would be a lot more desirable to me than a brighter screen or GPS.

10. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

I'm going to say no. With the push to make the speaker housing waterproof, I doubt that left many development cycles to focus on a louder speaker volume.

11. newdeal macrumors 68020

from the images they had at the keynote it looked like the old watch had a horn on the speaker and they removed that with the new one. To me that means that the new one will either be less loud or use a more powerful actual speaker. For all that Cook said about waterproofing the speaker that is really the easiest part to waterproof. The digital crown and side button would be the hardest