Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Nobody has brought this up yet, but even if there were to be some sort of security issue with watchOS, I highly doubt Apple Pay would be compromised. Your credit card details are stored in the "Secure Enclave" which is entirely separated from the rest of the components. There is no shared memory, and when you use the watch to pay your card details are not stored within watchOS for even a split second as far as I'm aware.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Be glad you didn't buy a Series 0 gold Edition. $10k-17k for a watch that 3.5 years later is no longer supported with new features or updates. Jonny Ive's gold folly - he wanted the Karflashians of the world to love it.
The Gold Edition watch was mostly to get free publicity in the news media since it was a totally new product at the time. It had the added benefit of allowing Apple to make an obscene profit margin off of a few people that wanted to show off that they were rich enough to spend nearly a quarter of the median salary in the US on a watch that would be obsolete in a few years.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The Gold Edition watch was mostly to get free publicity in the news media since it was a totally new product at the time. It had the added benefit of allowing Apple to make an obscene profit margin off of a few people that wanted to show off that they were rich enough to spend nearly a quarter of the median salary in the US on a watch that would be obsolete in a few years.

I would agree partially with this. I also think that if you look at the transition from the first generation Apple Watch and until the current Apple Watch with the series 3, Apple wanted to market this watch specifically as a fashion device. Even if you look back at all the marketing with the first Gen Watch, Apple had an array of short videos with the Apple Watch when it first launched advocating it as a ‘Fashion accessory’, it was literally about notifications and being worn as a fashion statement. Apple wanted to gain as much traction as possible when the watch First launch, primarily because I think they were not even sure how well recepted it was going to be. Now, Apple promotes it primarily as health and fitness related. So it shows the transition from where the First Gen was And its metamorphosis to the Series 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.