iPad mini Will she think I am a cheapskate?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by notaznguy, Dec 25, 2013.

1. notaznguy, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014

notaznguy macrumors member

UPDATE:

I gave her the iPad mini for her birthday and she absolutely LOVED it. She was a bit shocked I spent so much on her, haha oops, but she was really happy and appreciative.

Thanks for all your responses, the good and the bad ones. It provided an interesting myriad of perspectives.

2. identity macrumors 6502

If she's going to be upset because you got her a Mini 1, then she's not worth the time.

3. osx11 macrumors 6502a

Depends on how much she knows/cares about technology! On the other hand, if she is not worth $400 to you then.................

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Ah, another lovely thread debating the monetary worth of a relationship, and the worth of the woman involved.

Interesting that I don't recall ever reading one of these threads written by a woman.

It seems women have not yet reached that depth of superficiality.

I hope it never happens.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Doesn't sound like she's the techie who is into retina/no retina, you are fine.

Like the above guy says, if you are making an equation on relationship - monetary worth, then this is not a good relationship to start with.

Still, don't regale her with your tech knowledge and one day in a coffee shop show her off how much the guy sitting next's retina is so much better. That would be a faux pas.

6. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Doubt she would think you are a cheapskate for buying her an iPad. And if it is something she would like but has not bought one because of price, then it is a very fine gift indeed.

7. nabwong macrumors regular

Just don't mention this forum to her and you'll be fine.

8. mhdena macrumors 6502

Yes, cheapskate

You're already buying her the smaller one.

She's not as dumb as you think she is.

9. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

This was a pretty stupid remark. There are perfectly valid reasons for going with an iPad Mini over a full-sized iPad, and they don't all relate to cost.

None of us can answer how your girlfriend will perceive the gift. Quite honestly, a gift of over $100 is a very expensive gift in the opinion of both myself and my wife. If you're getting her something that she has a use for then it's even more thoughtful.

If your question is whether the iPad Mini performs like garbage compared with the retina version, the answer is "no." I've used both the original iPad Mini and now the iPad Mini Retina for work. The speed improvement in the retina version is noticeable for tasks like searching PDFs or loading note documents, but not so much for things like reading e-books, working in mail, or web browsing. The pixel density of the display in the original iPad Mini sits between the iPad 2 and retina iPads. While I would say that it is noticeable that it isn't a retina display, it isn't something that gets in the way of using the device. Put another way, when I acquired my iPad 3 (retina), looking at the screen of an iPad 2 was painful. I could use my original iPad Mini (non-retina) and feel perfectly fine.

Don't stress over it. It's a very generous gift.

10. JGWolven macrumors regular

"If you can solve your problem, what is the need of worrying? If you can't solve it, what is the use of worrying?"

I'm sure it'll be fine. She will love it.

11. Ezhik macrumors regular

Ezhik

didn't buy me a 256gb lte ipad air 0/10 woulod not date

but really a good girlfriend would be hapy even if she didn't get an ipad at all

12. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

It's a good test. If she doesn't value your gift, then you paid $250 to find out what kind of character she has. A lot of men spend much more than $250 to figure out what kind of women they have on their hands ;)

13. CandyNJ66 macrumors regular

If she's not appreciative, she's nor worth your time, energy or $$. If she appreciates it but offers to chip in $100 of her own money to exchange it for a Retina Mini, that might be a good option too. She might not care and love the Mini 1.

Keep us updated please

14. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

This will be a good test.

If she's disappointed, you'll know where her values and expectations lie.

15. runormal macrumors newbie

runormal

I think that will be a great gift - the original mini is still a part of the current offered iPad line-up from Apple which in my book makes it legit regardless of being released last year.

My personal experience: a girl I have been dating bought me an original mini in August for my birthday and I was OVERJOYED! At the time I was aware there might be a rMini being released a few months later I still did and do think it is an amazing gift and very thoughtful.

16. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Exactly! If she's gets upset over a FREE iPad Mini 1st gen, then she's not worth your time. If someone had bought my iPad Mini for me as a gift, I'd be so happy. That would've been $299 less for me to spend on myself lol. Seriously if she gets mad about not getting a "retina" iPad mini, she's got problems and you should dumb her.

17. niblet macrumors newbie

The 1st gen is NOT garbage. I bought the 1st generation, not too long ago, and it is a wonderful device. It has an older processor, but since it has a standard resolution screen, it doesn't really need the extra graphics power.

18. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

No. It isn't like buying her a 4s when there is a 5 with a noticeable difference(screen and design). Money doesn't buy happiness and she will still like u because it is the thought that counts and they rant that different.

19. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

20. slitherjef macrumors regular

Give me the iPad mini first gen.

This will do two things, first it will give you a reason to buy the more expensive iPad seeing as you feel low for thinking about giving her such a cheap device with the first gen that you got a good price on.

And second, it will show your generosity to her by giving a gift to a random stranger on the internet.

:cool:

21. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

Why are u so worried about it? Does she make u feel like that? I guess I never understand why people give each other $300 items right out the gate. What do u give her at the 10 year mark?

22. mpantone macrumors 6502

Yeah, $250 is chump change.

Former LA Dodgers owner Frank McCourt settled with his wife for $131 million in cash, plus some very premium real estate.

Heck, two hundred and fifty bucks is less than a speeding ticket in a lot of jurisdictions.

LOL

:p

23. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I think your gift is very generous and it came from your heart. That's all that matters. As a women myself, I think she will love and treasure it. Gifts aren't all about cost...at least they shouldn't be. Give her the Mini.

24. jacobss macrumors 6502

Did she broke up with you by now? update us please. :)

25. nabwong macrumors regular

Better still, post a pic of her and we'll tell you if the 1st gen is enough.

I kid