Will silicone cases scratch the metal edges?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Sumtime19, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Sumtime19 macrumors member

I told my friend I'm probably getting a revo2 for my iPhone 3g, he said to stay away from it, as in most of the reviews in the first one it stated that the cases actually scratched their metal on the side of there iPhone. I think he's full of bs. Can anyone fill me up with some answers please?

2. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Silicon cases, or any cases that are removeable easilly scratch the phone, basically dust and dirt gets inbetween the case and the phone and as the phone moves around in the case it scratches it.

if you want to avoid scratching get a skin like the invisible shield or BSE or bodyguardz for example.

3. slapppy macrumors 65816

This is very true. Even the hard acrylic cases will end up leaving lots of fine scratches on the metal bezel. Like Belkin and Griffin on my first gen scratched the heck out of it. I tried the Agent 18, it didn't scratch the bezel as much, but it did a number on the back because there were line grooves on the Agent.

The only one that finally worked great for me was the Capsule from Switcheasy.

But the new version they have for the 3G is not the same style. Called the rebel and its a hybrid, but it works similar to the silicon and will loosen up and get junk in between the case and bezel. So I'm returning that model also. It's just too loose of a fit.

I wish they made the Capsule for the 3G also.

4. aphexii macrumors 6502

Stay away from the Agent 18 cases too, the Agent 18 eco case scratched the hell out of my first gen iPhone.

5. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

You can avoid this by applying a film like bse or invisible shield before placing it in a silicone case. I know some will think this is overkill but it works.