Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I recently got a silver SE and love it. My question is will a white iPhone discolor from smoke exposure over time? I don't smoke but I hang out with people that do and worry that it will yellow my phone.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I rotate my devices, black iPhone, now I have a white iPhone, I had a white iPad, now I have a black iPad. Etc. None of my white devices have any discoloration whatsoever. I compare them to new ones my family and friends buy and it's hard to tell which one is the new one.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I rotate my devices, black iPhone, now I have a white iPhone, I had a white iPad, now I have a black iPad. Etc. None of my white devices have any discoloration whatsoever. I compare them to new ones my family and friends buy and it's hard to tell which one is the new one.

Are you around smokers for any appreciable amount of time?

rjalda100

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
I currently have a 3.5 year old silver/white iPhone 5 which still looks like it did when it was new. It doesn't show any signs of discolouration, nor does my white iPod touch. Yours should be fine.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
If you're worried about your phone changing colors because of ambient smoke, shouldn't you be more concerned about your health instead?

Most of my friends vape. But when we hang out at the "smoke shack" during lunch and the occasional actual smoker decides to come out we don't all scatter. Yes I wish they didn't smoke around me but it is what it is. My phone discolorong is a more immediate concern I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.