Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stupidlamb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2010
Specs: early 2008 edition 4,1
processor: 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo
memory: 2 gb 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
bus speed: 800MHz
Graphics Display: INTEL GMA x3100
Harddrive: 250gb, 241gb available

I really want to buy Sims 2 MAC version for it but i want to make sure it will run smoothly without any lagging. And eventually get 2 or 3 expansion packs. Would it work better on windows through bootcamp? I'm new to macs and i have bootcamp on it but i don't know the whole windows process. Thanks!

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
It'll run, kinda sorta, through bootcamp with Windows XP. My girlfriend plays the sims 2 on a similar spec'd Dell.

I wouldn't count on it running at all on OS X though. The requirements list 32mb of dedicated graphics memory, with a dedicated graphics card.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
If Sims3 can run easily on my Macbook (specs in sig), and has been known to run on an X3100 graphics card, then I have no doubt that the Sims 2 will run perfectly well in OS X on your Blackbook.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
If Sims3 can run easily on my Macbook (specs in sig), and has been known to run on an X3100 graphics card, then I have no doubt that the Sims 2 will run perfectly well in OS X on your Blackbook.

I owned a similarly-specced machine to the OP's (2.2GHz instead of 2.4). Sims 2 ran, but very poorly with decent settings. It ran better with detail, etc turned down. If you can live with that bit of sacrifice, it'll be fine. But no illusions... you will NOT have a rewarding experience trying to run it with better than medium-low detail.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
I owned a similarly-specced machine to the OP's (2.2GHz instead of 2.4). Sims 2 ran, but very poorly with decent settings. It ran better with detail, etc turned down. If you can live with that bit of sacrifice, it'll be fine. But no illusions... you will NOT have a rewarding experience trying to run it with better than medium-low detail.

Interesting... You had the X3100 too and the 2GB of RAM?

stupidlamb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2010
I actually just got my sims 2 and it works super fast on the mac! loading time takes about 5 seconds. It would literally take 5 minutes or more on my pc. what a relief.

my only problem is it crashing when i try to create a family after i download custom content clothing and sims, houses work fine :( so i haven't even started to play yet!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.