Will Siri be available to developers to make extra things?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RobbySkateboard, Oct 9, 2011.

1. RobbySkateboard macrumors regular

I'd like to be able to ask siri "when is the next (sports team) game" or what is the score of the (team vs team) game?" for example but I bet there are a lot of other things that people would want to ask it that it won't know stock but this is just a good example I thought of. Something that would allow me to check while driving so I don't have to open up espn scorecenter.

2. Chumburro2U macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

You know I feel that Siri has only just begun and as Steve Jobs would say, "It's a game changer". You will see Siri evolve surpass even HAL 9000. :apple:

3. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

There has been talk of an API but nothing announced officially.

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

While not completely out of the question, I would be surprised to see general 3rd party app support for Siri any time soon. There are some pretty big technical hurdles that would have to be addressed in order for this to work.

5. SK818 macrumors newbie

Who knows, maybe Siri will be able to look that kind of stuff up on release.

6. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I think you could probably get away with asking it those kinds of questions, but it would use the internet to find the answers instead of your apps.

This IS just the beginning (Siri is considered beta right now) and I'm sure in time we will be able to do virtually everything by voice- but it's not there yet.

Hopefully they open it up so the devs can make apps just for Siri.

7. RobbySkateboard thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think so (of course I don't know I don't have my 4s yet) but I know that it uses wolframalpha and it doesn't know/look that up.

What other ideas do you guys have that would be cool for siri to do if it doesn't out of the box?

8. AppleWizard macrumors member

I think it'll be quite some time before developers are given access to any Siri API's but I do think they will be offered eventually. Siri opens a whole realm of possibilites, and developers could become a large part of that.