Will Siri interact with 3rd party apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apple.pseudofan, Oct 6, 2011.

1. apple.pseudofan macrumors regular

Here is my example, but can be modified to fit most apps that aren't games, etc.

"Launch Instacast, resume playing episode of ********* show from yesterday"

Will Siri be able to do that? Maybe eventually be some expanded functionality in the future?

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Not out of the box, but I'm sure Apple will open up APIs to allow developers to put hooks from Siri into their apps. It will take some time since it was only announced a few days ago.

All of the other features of iOS have been included in betas for months now. Siri doesn't have that luxury.

3. Dronomophone macrumors regular

Yes, they better and I hope it happens soon. I can see it being way more amazing than it already is once they do that. So many uses. I use TextFree a lot and I want that integration so I can continue not paying for texts. Also would be great with my Navigon app. The possibilities are endless.

4. Deewin macrumors newbie

I can't wait until CulturedCode implements Siri into their app in about 5-10 years.

5. Codepiink macrumors regular

I saw a video on youtube of someone asking Siri to find the soonest flight for him and Siri said she was unable to help him with that. Hopefully she will be able to interact with other apps in the near future bc that would make this phone all the more worthwhile.

6. tiguk macrumors 6502

Lol.

7. Surrix macrumors regular

I hope so. I'm hoping to be able to say "Tag this song with Shazam" while driving.

8. nfl46 macrumors 603

Not out the box, it won't. But, its going to be cool when we can.

9. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I was wondering this as well.

I know in the keynote it said it'll work with the stock apps and where ever a keyboard is present.

If I wanted to do voice to text in a non stock app in keyboard mode I'm thinking that should work out the box?

10. protobiont macrumors 6502a

The way apple does things, I wouldn't expect to see this opened up to 3rd party apps until at least iOS 6.

11. scootaru macrumors 6502

Thought about starting this same thread the other day. I wouldn't be surprised if Siri has been designed to work with 3rd party apps from the beginning of development, but for obvious reasons, they are restricting it's ineraction with native apps during the initial beta rollout.

Can't wait until I can say, "Order a large pepperoni pizza from Pizza hut and an order of hot wings." to which Siri replies, "Pick up or delivery".

Edit: I guess calling the store would work too. lol

12. bt2184 macrumors member

I'm not expecting it. I however do want to be able to change the voice of Siri. Can I get Morgan Freeman's voice as my personal assistant? That would make my day much more relaxing.

13. protobiont macrumors 6502a

That would rock! Peter Griffin or Stewy would be good for a laugh.

14. bt2184 macrumors member

I can just hear Stewie saying after a search "what the deuce?"

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

if Apple doesn't do it the jb community probably will. :D

16. Chumburro2U macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

The the Carpenters song

"We have only just begun". I can't wait for all of the possibilities that Siri would bring with future updates. :apple:

17. Ars Diaboli macrumors member

I think Siri has some real possibilities. However, customizable Siri is probably a little ways off yet. I wonder how much memory Siri eats in the 4S? Anyone got a guess?