Will Siri Work in the UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigertazz, Oct 7, 2011.

1. tigertazz macrumors 6502

tigertazz

I've been reading all the awsome stuff that Siri can do but I sure i've read somewhere that it wont work outside of the US during this Beta phase.
    If thats the case, is the 4s worth the cost over the 4 in the upgrade world.

My upgrade is due november 3rd and i can pay £25 to upgrade early but do i bother??

2. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work in other countries at first... you Brits do talk funny after all... Siri might get confused, especially if you start referring to it as the dog and bones...

To answer your question, I'm not sure how much £25 translates out to in USD... but if it's anywhere close to $25, I'd just say screw it and get my phone now. Now if you were talking the difference between an AT&T full discount, and the $250 early upgrade fee, I'd say wait a month. Whether or not Siri will work.

3. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

It will work, but the assistant's voice is Alan Partridge.

[​IMG]

4. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

I <3 you

5. tigertazz thread starter macrumors 6502

tigertazz

Talk funny? OI dunt no wot u meeen?? LOL

£25 translates to around $30 - $35 depending on the day. Still if i go for the upgrade now its a 18 or 24 month contract locked in. Then i have the concern of iPhone 5 (if there is such a thing) being released in that period

6. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

7. Coxey70 macrumors newbie

It will work if you've watched the keynote it does say Siri works in English (US,UK and Australia) French and German.

lol Wazza beat me to it.

8. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

There's always another iPhone coming... Though I'm a junkie... I'm getting the 4S, and I'll be getting the 5/6 or w/e its called when it's launched (assuming it's next year and has LTE, if they launch a new phone in 6 months, I'll gladly wait 6 more for an LTE one.)

9. naths macrumors 6502

why doesn't it work in canada then?,they speak english,or is it a carrier block??....just wondered?..

10. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

So that would include Rab C. Nesbitt, Max Boyce, Ant & Dec, Wayne Rooney and Stephen Fry? Japanese should be easy! :D

[Edit: As "UK" does not include "Northern Ireland" I can't include Ian Paisley in the list!]

11. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Anyone remember "Professor" Stanley Unwin?, he would have been a real test, but he's brown bread.

12. jongriff macrumors regular

jongriff

Waiting for the next iphone to have LTE is probably going to end up as very dissapointing for you.

13. sam67uk macrumors member

The UK DOES include Northern Ireland, so you can expect Ian Paisley, Martin McGuinness as Siri voice options :D

14. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

playing this character:

[​IMG]

15. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Who said it won't work in Canada? In Canada you either speak English with a US accent (apart from the A-boats [abouts] and what not) or French. Aren't those two dialects both included?

16. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

My bad, of course it does! :eek: UK = Britain & NI.

17. cube macrumors G5

Canadian French is very different from French. I suspect this is precisely the reason why it is not advertised at all in Canada.

The same goes for German-speaking countries other than Germany.

18. tigertazz thread starter macrumors 6502

tigertazz

Not quite what i ment on this one,

I'm aware that it'll work in english (us Uk etc) but when youtell it to, say, Find a greek restaurant near me will it only have us listings? The other features (calendar, reminders etc) should still work ok as they're local to the device.

I'm intregued as to the databases it'll use