Will skylake be much of a processor upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by David58117, Jan 9, 2016.

1. David58117 macrumors 65816

I know skylake will offer an improvement in integrated graphics - but what if you don't care about games/do graphical work?

Will there be much of a difference processor wise in the 15"?

2. Closingracer macrumors 68030

If you want a 13 inch I would say no since the improvements in skylake is the same with broadwell in terms of a new smaller die. Otherwise it will be a slight upgrade in performance from 6th Gen from 5th Gen. If your looking for the 15 inch I would wait imo since your going from the 4th Gen haswell to the 6th skylake

3. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

Will it be noticeable in real world applications? Doubt it.

The fanless MB might be the lone exception.

4. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

5. Closingracer macrumors 68030

The 15 inch it will since they use a smaller CPU die on Skylake vs Haskell... Better battery life

6. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

But if the Skylake chips come with a redesigned MBP, do you really want to buy a gen 1 product and be Apple's guinea pig?

7. Closingracer macrumors 68030

LOL? you seem to have an agenda..... Just going to ignore you.

8. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

Because I'm not creaming myself over a new CPU? lol

9. Closingracer macrumors 68030

You have an agenda and it's based off two threads I've seen you post in. How are you a Guinea pig it you bought a 15 inch mbp with a skylake cpu? No way is it a first Gen device and neither is the Macbook really since it came back and even if you mean the revamped one that came out last year it's still would be considered a 2nd Gen device in terms of that.

10. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

Many rumors have been circulating for a while now that the MBP line will be revamped this year, and bring with it Skylake, USB-C/TB3.

A redesigned MBP would be a gen 1 product.

11. Closingracer macrumors 68030

No would be a redesign....not a new product

So an iPhone 6 is a Gen 1 product since it's different from the iPhone 5S? Lol

12. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

13. Closingracer macrumors 68030

Lol they aren't....

14. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

I asked my magic 8 ball if I was right and you were wrong, and the answer was 'most assuredly'

15. Closingracer macrumors 68030

Lol....the magic 8 ball and you are both wrong...

There is more to this world of technology other than minor spec upgrades.... But from a haswell to a skylake cpu will be a decent enough to wait and see what they offer....if anything the 2015 models will be even cheaper a few months from now

16. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

But if the MBP line received a new chassis, the MB butterfly keyboard, thinner design, smaller footprint, new ports, new screen and internals, that would constitute a gen 1 product.

17. Closingracer macrumors 68030

No a redesign... Still a Macbook Pro 15 inch

18. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

So this:
    [​IMG]

is the same as

[​IMG]
    this?

Both are "MacBook"s.

19. Nubcake macrumors newbie

Nubcake

Guys please...

It's not a new product from a commercial point of view since the Macbook Pro has been there for years. But since the redesign will mean a new form-factor with new hardware, it is a difference product from technical point of view. The new Macbook Pro's might have problems with overheating if the slimmer design can't handle the heat for example. I'm just giving a random example here, not claiming anything. The point is that a redesign might mean complications which some see as a new first generation product (since the redesign).

So basically both of you are right or non of you are. You'll have to settle with the truth lying in the middle. :p

EDIT: Now that I gave it some more thought, compare it with cars. BMW for example is making the 3-series for years. It's the same model from commercial standpoint. But it has evolved through the years (redesigns) which makes it a next generation model.

20. leman macrumors G3

Allow me to ignore the ridiculous discussion that has been going on in this thread and return to the original question. Whether skylake is an upgrade depends solely on your needs. For me, even 5% difference in computational performance makes a huge difference. A user who primarily works with office and web browsing however is unlikely to notice any difference between an i7 model and a core M, lest haswell and skylake. All in all, a skylake MBP will bring much more than just a faster CPU. I will most likely update the moment it is released, even though My MBP is less then a year old now.

21. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

Based on current Skylake windows laptops, the difference is negligible.
    The main improvements to me, are better battery life + increased graphics from the iGPU.

If the Skylake iGPU (HD 5xx) can handle games pretty well, the Iris Pro version will be even better.

22. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

As other say the chips bring little in the way of CPU performance increase.

They do however look like giving a good boost to graphics performance, the 13 inch rMBP for example is most likely getting a 64MB eDRAM cache that should give it the biggest % increase in graphics performance of all the upgraded chips in the Skylake line over their Haswell counterparts. The 15 inch isn't getting the same love though it should be a fair bit better.

They also bring some new technologies DDR4 RAM compatibility (although as DDR4 is currently making little difference to performance so I don't believe apple will bother with it), Thunderbolt 3/USB-C, smaller size, less heat and better battery life.

23. leman macrumors G3

I think that a 50% increase in execution units qualifies as 'a lot of love' :)

24. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Doesn't Skylake include USB3.1 ?

A significant speed jump over USB3 ?

25. David58117 thread starter macrumors 65816

Does this mean the processor will be 50% faster for the 15"?

After reading this thread, I'm still torn on waiting or not. I really don't care for games or a graphical performance increase..everything I use is still USB 3 and hdmi. I'm looking to primarily just use this for audio recording.