Will slomo videos from the iPhone 6 not play on Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by richard371, Sep 28, 2014.

1. richard371 macrumors 68000

I can play regular videos fine just not slomo. Just get a black screen.

2. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    :apple:TVs to date are limited to 30fps. These new iPhones can shoot at higher fps rates. You could run them through a tool like FCPX to convert them to 30fps and still keep the slo-mo effect. Else, this is one of the more tangible things pointing toward an :apple:TV refresh (hopefully soon). I'd love an :apple:TV that can handle native rates of 24, 30 and 60fps (but more if it could do it).

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I had the same problem. I don't understand why the playback software can't downsample the full speed video to 30 fps (cut out 7/8 frames) and then use them all during playback. Maybe it's just such a limited-use feature that it wasn't worth the workaround.

Key thing is AppleTV needs new hardware. This series of Handoff features begs for a new one with at least a microphone. Honestly what I might develop is an Xbox One-like system that is the main hub to the TV. HDMI runs into TV from AppleTV. Then a larger AppleTV box has either another HDMI input for a signal from an A/V receiver or just four or six HDMI inputs to work as a semi-receiver.

Overhaul the OS, and your AppleTV is basically the brain of your setup. Run all the various apps, or switch to old school stuff like cable/satellite that runs kind of like a virtual machine. That way AppleTV is calling the shots and could interrupt your TV watching if a phone call comes in. This means you can also setup overlays like stock tickers or ESPN scores.

It would require some horsepower since it would definitely not be any sort of hobby product. But I would be on that, especially with an App Store and third parties opening up their own subscriptions. You get HBO and ESPN to offer their packages without a cable company commitment and watch the money flow.

4. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Same problem here. I reported it to Apple.

I think the issue is not the playback ability of the TV set. Slo-mo videos are acquired at 240 fps but played back at 30 fps. That is how you get the effect of slowing down time.

My guess is that the slo-mo videos have a non-standard file format. This will be fixed in the near future, I hope.