Will smoking pot cause damaged lungs?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by killswitch1698, Nov 21, 2009.

1. killswitch1698 macrumors regular

Im saying if you were to do it moderately, not like 50hits a day 7 days a week. Im just curious if I were to be effected by that even if i just did it like once a month.

Thanks in Advance.

2. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

3. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

The short answer is ... I don't know. Begs another question... is breathing any kind of pollution (car exhaust, fireplace, cooking stove, pollen...) harmful to us. We breath most of those passively everyday, yet we live a long time. So there must be some kind of a cleansing going on inside of the lungs... if there wasn't by the time we were 70 our lungs would be black.

4. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Once a month no. If you smoke regularly like daily or even every couple days yes eventually just like with cigarettes you will have damage. People argue which is worse for you but in the end in both cases you are breathing in byproducts of combustion and that will harm your lungs over time.

There is a huge difference between breathing car pollution in an average developed place and sucking in concentrated smoke right into your lungs. But go to China and watch how even young people are hacking and coughing..the pollution in cities there is so bad it DOES do damage.

5. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

yep exactly. you're still inhaling smoke which is never good.

6. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

I googled that for you ...

Moderate smoking of marijuana appears to pose minimal danger to the lungs. Like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains a number of irritants and carcinogens. But marijuana users typically smoke much less often than tobacco smokers, and over time, inhale much less smoke. As a result, the risk of serious lung damage should be lower in marijuana smokers. There have been no reports of lung cancer related solely to marijuana, and in a large study presented to the American Thoracic Society in 2006, even heavy users of smoked marijuana were found not to have any increased risk of lung cancer. Unlike heavy tobacco smokers, heavy marijuana smokers exhibit no obstruction of the lung's small airway. That indicates that people will not develop emphysema from smoking marijuana.

Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse. “Legalization: Panacea or Pandora’s Box.” New York. (1995): 36.
    Turner, Carlton E. The Marijuana Controversy. Rockville: American Council for Drug Education, 1981.
    Nahas, Gabriel G. and Nicholas A. Pace. Letter. “Marijuana as Chemotherapy Aid Poses Hazards.” New York Times 4 December 1993: A20.
    Inaba, Darryl S. and William E. Cohen. Uppers, Downers, All-Arounders: Physical and Mental Effects of Psychoactive Drugs. 2nd ed. Ashland: CNS Productions, 1995. 174.

7. killswitch1698 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I know that, but from what i have heard about cigarette butts, im definitely not doing that. anyway besides that I think there are some solutions to reducing the risk of lung damage/cancer when smoking wether it be weed or cigabutts. I'm just being cautious.

btw alot of info on this site about pot...i was bored, so i looked up if pot were bad for you, and it turns out that a weed user himself has created a pretty convincing site about the facts and the myths.

http://www.perkel.com/politics/issues/pot.htm

8. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

What makes you think they're not black? I've seen surgeries where 25-30 year olds have relatively 'black' lungs - due to pollution. If you see a neonatal's lungs they're pink.

There is no cleansing as such going on, well a bit, but - just think of it as a really high threshold that every organ has (liver being the best example)- you can get pretty close to that limit and you'll be fine, but once you cross it you'll start having a bit of trouble.

9. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I need to find some government agency to provide me enough weed to smoke, so that I can smoke as much of it that a tobacco smoker smokes. In return, I would expect all that free weed, 100,000 dollars a year, and no taxes. I would "give" my body up for science, they could study my lungs as much as they wanted.

10. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Taking in any burning matter into your lungs is not a good idea.

But because of the potency and high price of pot, I can't imagine somebody doing damage compared to cigarette smokers who can smoke more burning matter in a week than a pot smoker can in a lifetime.

11. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

I'll just make it simple for you..... "SMOKING (ANYTHING) IS BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH!" unless you had a disease...or sumething, but still....eh;)

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Let's see, inhaling concentrated particulates versus air...what do you think?

13. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Define "air" in 2009.

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Yes, get a vaporiser if you wish yo avoid problems.

15. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Truth.

THC can be released below the temperature of combustion for the plant material. Vaporizers let you get high without burning the plant, saving your lungs from all that tar and nastiness.

16. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    +1 I agree with this. Safe effect. No smoke. ;)

17. chordate68 macrumors regular

chordate68

agreed. burning any organic material releases free radicals, and these can cause cancer.

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

^ this ^

Going to invest in a good vaporizer myself soon. ;)