will snow leopard erase everything??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bcrguy, Oct 30, 2009.

1. bcrguy macrumors regular

im debating getting snow leopard but i was wondering if it will erase my bootcamped xp partition or any of my music/ movies or anything. normally i wouldnt have a problem reformatting xp but i just did it 3 times in 2 weeks.. any answers help..

//edit//
    also i was just reading that snow leopard can run in either 64bit (allowing better usage of ram) or 32 bit..
    if i were to upgrade would i be able to put a couple more gigs into my macbook pro? (my local shop says i am "maxed out" at 2 gb as of now) i know it seems like a stupid question but if this is true then it would be far better than having to buy a new mac for school in january..

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

No.

3. bcrguy thread starter macrumors regular

so it will just replace leopard without adjusting anything?

4. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I upgraded and my boot camp partition with Windows 7 on it was fine.
    If you intend to do a clean install or upgrade, make sure you have an external backup of your data (particularly important files), also if you have a Time Machine I recommend doing a backup before you start.

Upgrading to Snow Leopard can be iffy, be prepared to do a clean install (where your Leopard OS is completely erased) if the upgrade causes problems.
    You will have to manually drag your files that you want back over (if you install from Time Machine or migrate from an existing drive it defeats the purpose of doing a clean install).

EDIT:
    It's a new OS, it upgrades everything but none of your files that you use (photos etc..) should be lost but you need backups to be safe.
    If you're forced to do a clean install because SL isn't working properly after the upgrade you'll want backups.

5. bcrguy thread starter macrumors regular

so in short - it should be good but back up both hard drives prior to install..

6. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Yes, what do you mean both hard drives? I think the only hard drive that needs backing up is the one with your OS installed on it, or do you mean backup to two hard drives?
    Make sure that you have everything backed up, once you do a clean install (if necessary) you will lose all of your data on the OS, so anything you want to keep needs to be backed up.
    You could backup your entire USER folder, that way if you do need a file you should have everything from your user account, you may need to do it for every account if you have multiple accounts with data on them that you want.

Hopefully you won't have to do a clean install, but expect the worse :p

7. bcrguy thread starter macrumors regular

i mean both hard drives as in my osx hard drive with the windows partition (being the second hard drive).. however i think im just going to wait till i get my new comp for sno leopard..
    thanks all for the help

8. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Ah ok no worries :)
    If you were to proceed I'd back up any files on Windows that you want, although there should be no problems.

9. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a