Will Snow Leopard even "work" for my computer?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pa6860, Mar 11, 2009.

1. pa6860 macrumors newbie

Hello. Long time reader, first time poster.

Just a quick question. I've done a search, but still can't seem to come up with an answer.

I have a 2nd generation MPB (Late 2006) with a 2.16 Core 2 Duo Merrom Processor.

I have 2 questions. I want to upgrade my OS and get Ilife 09 (currently have Tiger). I'd like to wait for Snow Leopard, but is it even worth it? Will my current configuration be able to maximize the benefits that Snow Leopard will have over Leopard (64 bit, Grand Central, etc.), or will SL only offer a minimal improvement for my specific configuration?

I don't mind waiting for SL to come out, but if it's not going to be a noticeable improvement, then I'll just get the Leopard/ILife 09 Mac Box Set.

Thank you very much.

2. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

it'll work on any mac that has an intel processor

3. portent macrumors 6502a

Nobody knows. Anybody that claims to know is guessing or repeating a rumor, unless that person is Steve Jobs or Bertrand Serlet.

One of the most common rumors is that it will require a 64-bit Intel CPU (so your Core 2 Duo would be supported, but a Core Duo or Core Solo would not.)

But these are all rumors. Nobody knows for sure until the day the specs are posted on apple.com.

4. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

I have the same computer than the OP, and I am hoping that I will see some speed improvements with Snow Leopard - although I understand that they may be minor. However, a more sleaker system is always welcomed...

(BTW, I just replaced the harddrive of my computer the other week (then: 160GB, 5400rpm, now: 320GB, 7200rpm). The MBP is in it's second spring now. :))

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Anything less than C2D is not going to get as much performance wise more out of it likely. APple iwll know, developers with later builds will know. If they start dropping support for sertain systems, it'll be likely apparent prior to release.

6. pa6860 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input!

portent, thanks for the info. I must admit I wasn't sure the c2d was 64 bit or not, so thanks.

pit 29, I hear you. I just upgraded my hd to a 500 gb 5400, and although I didn't get the speed boost, I still feel like I have a new computer (I had literally maxed out my old hd and was just waiting for something bad to happen...)

t0mato, thanks for your input. I've read your incredible posts (I still think you are Steve Jobs), so I appreciate your opinion.

In short, thanks. I feel confident now that waiting for SL is the best thing to do, especially since my mbp "should" be able to take advantage of what sl has to offer.

7. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

The vast majority of performance improvements have nothing processor-specific about them. Pretty much the only thing you'd miss out on is 64 bit, which is a nice speedup, but definitely not all that's in SL.