Will Snow Leopard install on a blank hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Buzzworms, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Buzzworms macrumors member

Buzzworms

"In addition, it is possible to completely erase a hard drive and install Snow Leopard without a pre-existing operating system in place, enabling users to bypass the possible headaches of an upgrade and go with a clean install instead."

I'm a newbie here but wonder if the above AppleInsider statement is true. I installed Snow Leopard over my existing Leopard w/out a hitch. Earlier OS X retail DVD versions clearly distinguished between "Install" and "Upgrade" - correct?. I'm confused where I read Snow Leopard required an existing OS (Leopard or Tiger) to install. It appears Snow Leopard is a "full install" DVD?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I wiped my HD before I installed SL without problems. Tiger users have also been able to upgrade to SL

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The only difference between the Upgrade for Leopard, and the full version for Tiger is the EULA statements.

The discs are identical it would appear.

4. mbtalle macrumors member

Are you talking about a clean install? If so,

http://lifehacker.com/5345690/prep-your-mac-for-snow-leopard

5. Buzzworms thread starter macrumors member

Buzzworms

Thanks. This answer my question...

"Correction and update: We have confirmed that the preview of Snow Leopard DOES offer a standalone installer that works on a freshly-formatted hard drive without an existing Leopard installation or DVD."

http://lifehacker.com/5345690/prep-your-mac-for-snow-leopard