Will Snow Leopard make my mac pro.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adamlangsner, Feb 12, 2009.

1. adamlangsner macrumors newbie

I have a mac pro that I bought in the summer of 2007. It's got 2 quad core 3.0ghz xeons (8-core). Will I notice a significant improvement in performance with snow leopard because of 'grand central' or is it one of those things that is more theoretical and you need all your programs to utilize the technology?

2. claimed4all macrumors 6502

3. Amdahl macrumors 65816

It's theoretical until your programs support OpenCL. You may notice better QuickTime performance (which is probably irrelevant) since they are re-doing it as QuickTime X.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im going to take a stab and say yes, but only to all those programs that are made by apple. when you upgrade to SL (snow leopard) all the default programs such as iChat, Safari, Finder etcetc will be OpenCL coded, so those will most certainly have a significant boost in performance. other programs like Adium, and other 3rd party ones probably will not.

what GPU do you have?

5. ihabime macrumors 6502

I think when SL is finally released we'll see a torrent of complaints by people who don't understand what openCL and grand central are about. From reading this and other Apple forums it seems that a lot of people think their Macs will double in speed and that everything will be running on their GPU.

It's not gonna happen, they are developer APIs, things to make programming these technologies simpler, like Core Video, Core animation, Core Data, it will take time before programs are released that use them. The operating system and Apple supplied programs will be first of course, but I doubt they will have rewritten all of them and even if they did not all will benefit from it.

Take openCL for example, it can be compared to Altivec on steroids, great for large data sets and repetitive calculations, photoshop filters, simulations, quartz composer compositions, but not much use to Safari, Mail, iTunes, iChat and the like.

I'm excited about what will be done with SL, but you have to understand that it's not a magic wand that will make everything faster.

6. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

OpenCL will only come into its own when Apple releases OpenCL compliant software versions of Logic and Final Cut Studio, especially doing HD rendering etc.