Will Snow Leopard Play Nicely w/ my Current Applications?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HappyDude20, Aug 12, 2009.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I have a highly number of applications. Some important, some not, but nevertheless a big collection.

The purpose of this thread is my concern over certain apps such as 1Password and the like. See, what's on my mind is when it comes time to install snow leopard, these kinds of apps will need to be reset or need the activation password again. The reason i'm not too fond of this is that 1Password was a free app on the "macheist.com" website and 1Password, along with other applications are some of my most used/valued apps.

I guess what i'm wondering is (& this is in accordance with today's new info re: snow leopard installation) what options i'll have when it comes time to install.

See, running Leopard for the past few years and even once accidentally deleting a couple of system folders I shouldn't have been messing with; I get the feeling my Leopard Macbook isn't up to par as it once was. Therefore would like the option to do something like a clean & install feature, where I'd like for Leopard to kinda "reinstall" to its original state (hopefully adding w/e system files I once deleted months ago.) I mean, I don't even have the original "DVD Player" application anymore and what kills me is I don't know why!

So when a kind of "clean & re-install" feature happens, i'm guessing it would erase everything on my Mac...but everything as in Leopard too? Cause i'm guessing the Snow Leopard disc won't include "Leopard" itself and Snow Leopard is really just an "add-on" to my already installed Leopard right? I'm not too sure but...

...but, the main end I want to reach is making sure that Snow Leopard has a solid foundation of Leopard, which I believe isn't its best as it once originally was. Along with making sure some of my apps retain their original state, not forcing me through a headache attempting to retrieve an activation code from macheist.com which i'm sure would be unavailable since it was the MacHeist version of 1Password. That and of course the other little things like, making sure I still have my 10GB collection of iTunes music if Snow Leopard cleans and re-installs or w/e. My apologies if the lingo of this thread isn't the level it should be, i'm not new to Macs or OS X but def. new to this subject matter.

Thanks!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Remember, developers have been preparing for this for a while. You are likely to be fine and if not fixes should come shortly.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Mmm. I guess on the 1Password MacHeist side I should inquire about that over there...

But in regards with Snow Leopard itself, when I have the disc in my hands ready to install what option will I have? Will it just add Snow Leopard to Leopard on my Mac or can it re-install everything (leopard and snow leopard) all over again? Of course already having Leopard on my Macbook/HD.

4. MikhailT macrumors 601

You will be required to pay to upgrade to 1Password 3.0 in order to get it supported on Snow Leopard. It sucks but that's what they going to go with. You may be able to get 2.x to run but there'll be no support from Agile.

Majority of the applications will work fine except for any applications that has a 32bit kexts. They won't be able to run in 64 bit kernel, only 32bit and that's not always going to happen either but most of the time the developers will provide a fix shortly after the final release of SL.

5. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm currently on the 1Password site, reading their updates and blog too. I've just upgraded to the latest version and says it'll support current Snow Leopard, but agree with you that since they do updates all the time, at one point the current update will be obsolete in Snow Leopard. But I love the app so much i'd be willing to upgrade with an upgrade price. Are you aware of how much this would be and/or when the 3.0 version is set to come out?

6. MikhailT macrumors 601

I had to convince them to allow 2.x to run on Snow Leopard. The build before was prevented to run on SL.

As for 3.0 upgrade pricing, that's still unknown but it will be discounted significantly from the regular price for sure. They will send out the full price information within weeks via a newsletter.