Will Snow Leopard recognize RAID (mirror) configurations done in Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by *LTD*, May 31, 2009.

1. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

I'm currently setting up two 1TB hard drives as mirrored RAID drives. Seems easy enough to do through Disk Utility, though zeroing out the data takes about 1.5 days for each drive, due to their size I assume.

Will it be easy to migrate these drives to Snow Leopard? Will it just be a matter of adding them to the RAID list in SL's Disk Utility? Will it recognize them automatically?

Thanks!

2. *LTD* thread starter macrumors G4

*LTD*

Well I guess I answered my own question.

No. At least for me.

Did a clean install of Snow Leopard. Tried to mount my RAID drives (1TB x 2), and no go. The OS froze up and had to restart. I managed to find enough time to erase the RAID set (but not the drives), hoping that OS X will recognize them as regular drives.

No go. They're online in Disk Utility but I can't mount them. Here's what I see for one of them:

Mount Point : Not mounted Capacity : 999.86 GB (999,860,912,128 Bytes)
    Partition Type : Apple_RAID_Offline Available : -
    Owners Enabled : - Used : -
    Number of Folders : - Number of Files : -

Any ideas?

Thanks!

3. jofallon macrumors newbie

Raid issues

Similar results for me. Install didn't see the raid 1 partition, so I installed on another drive. Install worked for a few hours. In the morning, an error from TimeMachine about not enough space on the TM drive. Clicking on a drive icon caused it all to lock. I had to power down, and on reboot I got "Error Loading Kernel."
    I have an internal bootable clone of my 10.5.8 so I booted from that, and demoted both drives from the array. Maybe tonight I'll try a single disk SL install; maybe not.

There are lots of problems reported with RAID arrays of all kinds.

4. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I booted from the Snow Leopard DVD and had no issues upgrading my RAID 1 Leopard setup. I did try doing the upgrade by booting into Leopard and inserting the DVD. But that did not work because it did not see the boot drive.

S-

5. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

The only way to get to your Raid drive is booting through the DVD. I did it the first time doing a upgrade and the system lacked it's luster . I am running 2 SSD Intel 80gb in Raid O config.

So this morning I decided to throw caution to the wind. I backed up SL and what I have done so far to a external. Than I went in and untangled the Raid O config I did in Leopard . I had a bad feeling about the Raid setup in Leopard and carrying it over to SL . So I zeroed out the two drives and made a new Raid O in SL . Than I booted from the DVD and unplugged my Drobo and my external so it certainly went to the only drive on the system my new Raid O drive than loaded it again from the DVD than after that I plugged the SL backup drive back in and than migrated from that and all went well. Don't bother with X bench it's way off the mark it seems any running some quick raw processing test I picked up better times and the systems seems much quicker now. Not sure what to tell people on this one because it should probably not made a damn bit of difference but I feel better now that at least I wiped out the SSD drives and got them fresh again and basically did a clean install. I will sleep better tonight and maybe it's the just the way I am but at least i know i did my part. Now Adobe and other get on that 64 bit stuff now. I do have a couple 3rd party 64 bit programs that are flying so hopefully soon the developers will get some software to match.

6. Razzman macrumors newbie

Raid 0 and Snow Leopard

After I installed SnowLeopard I was unable to see my Raid-0 drive. I then re-installed my Dynex Cd, for the driver.
    I have the Dynex 2 port eSATA 11 PCI Express Adapter and 2 Thermaltake BlackXduet docking stations.One docking station has my 2TB TimeMachine and that works fine, now. The docking station with the 2 single 1TB/Raid did show up several times and I was able to see the content files. BUT,then it froze several times, since then.
    I plan to first contact Dynex for support and then Apple.
    Any advise or solutions would be helpful,
    Thanks,
    Ric

7. noodlephoto macrumors newbie

I'm not much help...

However I wanted to provide my input. I have a similar post where I share the same concerns. I'm using a RocketRAID eSata controller and have it presenting 4 1Tb drives to the system as JBOD. I've used the disk utility to create my RAID. I want to do a clean install of SL, but my concerns are validated by your experiences. The RAID created in the old "blown away" OS won't be there anymore and I won't have access to all my backed up data. So I'm trying to figure out how to use an external array to make this work.

My next step is to have my external array not show the 4 drives independently. If I can make it a RAID 0 from the controller, the OS shouldn't be an issue then (I hope). The only problem I have is that I can't validate it once I've made the change. So I'd still be holding my breath as I did the upgrade hoping the RIAD controller would see the drives in the new install. If it weren't for the fact that I already know there are different drivers for Leopard and Snow Leopard for my controller, I'd be a bit more confident.

8. Razzman macrumors newbie

Raid 0 and Snow Leopard

I contacted both Dynex (Thinking it was a driver issue,it was not.) And I contacted Apple who told me SL was not the problem but that one of my 1TB drives was my problem.Needles to say I told him it was hard to believe since the timing of adding SL to my system and the Raid failure was the same.
    I have 2 1Tb drives in what I think is Raid 0. The goal was to have a mirror of the content, on both drives.

Here is my workaround. I unplugged my eSata cable and used a USB cable.
    I then was able to see and copy one of my Raid 0- 1TB drives to a brand new 1TB drive.I now can take a deep breath and solve the Raid/SL problem since my 920GB of data, is on a good drive.Whew!

9. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

RAID 0 is striped while RAID 1 is mirrored.

S-