Will Snow Leopard reinstall all applications or just update them?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chriswashere94, Aug 21, 2009.

1. chriswashere94 macrumors newbie

Hi, I was just wondering if when I install Snow Leopard if it will remove all the Leopard applications and replace them with Snow Leopard-formatted applications, or if it will just edit the applications to work with Snow Leopard. Photo Booth is broken on my computer and I don't want to Archive and Install unless it's the absolute last resort. Thanks :D

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It should update all the stock applications to the SL versions, and then the third party apps will be updated separately I imagine.

3. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

I have installed it as UPDATE i.e:

I was running leopard, poped in the DVD and then installed, it will update OS X softwares and leave everything else untouched *all of older apps worked*

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It will replace them. It's already been said that the default installation mechanism is an Archive and Install, which moves aside your current installation (including the default apps) and installs a fresh copy of Snow Leopard, which would also entail all of the new versions of the apps.

jW

5. Sandy Santra macrumors 6502

Does anyone know how to deal with Mail and Time Machine after a brand-new install (after wiping HD)? I have so much "sludge" on my HD that I'm planning to reformat it, install SL, and then install all my apps by hand from a external drive that's a clone of my MBP drive (via SuperDuper).

But what about Time Machine (running on a 2nd external drive)? Will it preserve/recognize my incremental backups for the last year?

And how do I migrate my Apple Mail from my cloned HD on an external drive (created by SuperDuper) back onto my MBP HD?

I welcome any thoughts/info anyone has on these 2 items. Thanks.

6. Sandy Santra macrumors 6502

Can I just open Mail after SL install, use File, Import Mailboxes, and then point it to ~Library/Mail/Mailboxes? That doesn't look like much fun...I think I have almost 100 mailboxes.

7. Sandy Santra macrumors 6502

The more I think about it, the more appealing the simple, default "Archive and Install" method sounds. I just hope 14GB of free space is enough to use this option. I bet SL is smart enough to correctly maintain all my keychain, mail, browser, and MobileMe settings.

8. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I'm still bummed Adobe CS3 isn't working. That really puts a crimp into my plans to upgrade. I guess I'll be waiting until CS5 comes out and upgrading both at the same time.