will snow leopard run fine on this pc notebook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by upagainst, Feb 20, 2010.

1. upagainst macrumors newbie

upagainst

hey guys, i have never owned a mac before and i am really interested at this point. i don't have the money to actually buy one, but i do have the money for snow leopard and i know that it can be installed onto laptops with a bit of knowledge (or instructions).

the laptop is made by gateway and was purchased in 2008 and is really running strong. i wiped it out completely and put windows 7 rc1 on it in september, and it's been smoother than when i bought it new even. windows 7 rc1 is set to expire though in about ten days, so here is what i plan on doing: buying snow leopard and replacing windows 7 on this notebook. will it work? the purpose of this thread is to figure out if i will run into any horrible hardware problems, or pretty much any big problems known with these particular specs. i'm new to mac, so please be nice. i just bought an iphone like 5 months ago, so i'm kind like you guys :D.

THE ALMIGHTY 2008 BUDGET GATEWAY LAPTOP SPECS

Gateway M-6843

* Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 @ 2.0GHz
    * 3GB PC2-5300 DDR2 Memory
    * 160GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
    * 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner with LabelFlash
    * 15.4-inch WXGA (1280x800) Wide LCD with 1.3MP Webcam
    * Intel GMA X3100 Integrated Graphics
    * v.92 56kbps Modem, 10/100 Ethernet, 802.11a/b/g Wireless
    * Three USB 2.0, ExpressCard/54, 5-in-1 Card Reader
    * 14" x 10" x 1.5" @ 6.3 lbs.

Whatoya think mate? :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. [DL] macrumors 6502

[DL]

Yeah, it will run fine.

Good luck installng it! :)

4. upagainst thread starter macrumors newbie

upagainst

sounds great! i really was surprised to see how cheap snow leopard was. on amazon windows 7 premium runs for $179.99, in comparison to snow leopard which is priced at $24.99. at that price, i bet many would-be software pirates think twice about stealing when they could just spend a few bucks (25) and own a legit copy.

plus, i have amazon prime... so it's just amazing to me that i can have a fully functional operating system sent to me with two day shipping for $24.99.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its technically only $25 for those already holding a Leopard license.

6. upagainst thread starter macrumors newbie

upagainst

what do you mean by that? i searched the whole description on amazon and nothing was mentioned about a license or key at all.

snow leopard @ amazon

7. zacl87 macrumors member

The cheaper SL is only an 'update' per se. As to my understanding the cheapest SL version needs to be installed on a computer with leopard being its previous OS.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

By that I mean, its licensed for you to use under the provision that you hold a legal copy of Leopard for use on the same machine already. Since you are going the hackintosh route, I don't suppose you are bothered to read the license agreement. There are no keys or codes of any kind. Apple simply expects you to abide by the license agreement. Its up to you to comply.

9. upagainst thread starter macrumors newbie

upagainst

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No, that's not true. Technically, it will install on any intel Mac, regardless of the OS it's running. There's no "key" so it's an honor system.

11. upagainst thread starter macrumors newbie

upagainst

from my understanding, it needs to be installed on a computer that the installation disc thinks is a mac. i'm installing it on a pc that has obviously never had mac osx installed before.

i watched a few videos on how to get it done today, and it looks surprisingly easy!