Will Snowleopard be free for Leopard owner?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ZballZ, Jun 23, 2008.

1. ZballZ macrumors regular

Just a quick question: Since Snowleopards profile is just focus on stability on the leopard-core, and not new features, will it be a free upgrade for leopard-users?

I noticed it is called 10.6 - this usually means not free, doesnt it?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not bloody likely. I'm an American and I know that.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

There is almost no chance that this would be a free upgrade, there are going to be some minor new features, but none that are going to make you want to buy the OS just for them. If it were plain and simply a security and stability upgrade, then it would be a 10.5.x upgrade, but since this is going to be such a large upgrade to the OS, you will have to pay. But I wouldn't be surprised if it were offered for a little less than the typical $129, maybe $99, but that is just a complete guess.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Snow Leopard WILL have new features to promote. Just not near as many as Leopard had over Tiger.

I'm ready.:apple:

6. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

7. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I think it is a little early to tell for sure, but if it gets a real 10.6 Version number, then you know we are going to have to pay for it.

My gut feeling is that Apple will add enough features to it to make it something they can charge for...

8. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

'Fraid not. It had better be cheaper though, at least for Leopard users. A faster OS wouldn't really help me much, unless it boots faster or something.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

...and a real Snow Leopard version name to boot.:D

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'll bet that they don't. They're focusing on multi-core and GPU processing utilization.

But.

It's Apple. I can easily see them making performance increases on current hardware over 100% with the rewriting of OS X that they plan to do.

I can see them making just these two features WORTH the upgrade for the speed increases.

11. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

No it will not be free. Minor version upgrades are free i.e. from 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 but major versions i.e. 10.5 to 10.6 are always pay-to-play.

But why should it be free? They're introducing a lot of revolutionary new technology with the 10.6 release like OpenCL and Grand Central. These new technologies are huge - not something trivial and silly like "Expose" or "Spaces".

12. ZballZ thread starter macrumors regular

It's not that I am expecting it to be free - just curious. I am still running Tiger - and very happy with it. So I dont see any reason for upgrading to Leopard, especially since Snowleopard will be out "soon".

...but; does this mean that Apple is launcing new OS's every year now? Seems like overkill to me...

13. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

every 18 months or so it's what S.J said i believe

14. G4DP macrumors 65816

Revolutionary? My arse! All they are doing is making Snow Leopard what Leopard for Intel should have been originally. How long have Apple had access to multi-core machines? 2 or 3 years plus. All Snow Leopard will be is a patch to fix the coding screw up that Leopard was.