Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
It runs quite smoothly with 2.1. Ever since I upgraded, I've had little to no problems with my iPod Touch. Considering that a new model is out, will 2.1 be the last software update for the iPod Touch (1st gen)? Or will both the models have an update to it.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
Will software version 2.2 be compatible with 1st gen iPod Touches?

Yes.

Considering that a new model is out, will 2.1 be the last software update for the iPod Touch (1st gen)?

No. The 1st gen and 2nd gen Touches are similar enough that Apple will almost certainly support them (and the iPhone original & 3G) equally for some time.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
But I wonder if Apple will make iPod Touch owners pay for the upgrade to 2.2?

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
Pay? Probably not with 2.2. Maybe with 3.0, when that someday comes. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
To answer your question: Yes it will be compatible as there are no MAJOR changes that will require either the speaker or the volume buttons.
I do not believe you will have to pay for the upgrade if you already have 2.1 as you paid $10 for that already.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
further updates will be continued to apply for two models whatsoever until Apple will decide to stop updating for first gen. as you know, Apple has always abandoned old model.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
further updates will be continued to apply for two models whatsoever until Apple will decide to stop updating for first gen. as you know, Apple has always abandoned old model.

^ have not. leopard was compatible with PPC. the iPhone 2.0 was compatible with iPhone EDGE. To the OP: yes it will.

it's normal for companies, including Apple, to stop supporting their oldest technologies eventually. For example, although Leopard is compatible with PPC, only G4 or higher (at least that's what it says on the box, so I never tried installing it on my old iBook G3). The point though is that there will still be support for the first gen iPod Touch for a good long time. it's way too new for them to drop it. The second gen iPod Touch wasn't a technology leap, just some marketing improvements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.