Will software version 2.2 be compatible with 1st gen iPod Touches?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Pain, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Pain macrumors regular

It runs quite smoothly with 2.1. Ever since I upgraded, I've had little to no problems with my iPod Touch. Considering that a new model is out, will 2.1 be the last software update for the iPod Touch (1st gen)? Or will both the models have an update to it.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No. You'll get updates until they change the physical interface.

3. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Yes.

No. The 1st gen and 2nd gen Touches are similar enough that Apple will almost certainly support them (and the iPhone original & 3G) equally for some time.

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

But I wonder if Apple will make iPod Touch owners pay for the upgrade to 2.2?

5. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

If some significant features are added then yea, probably.

6. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Pay? Probably not with 2.2. Maybe with 3.0, when that someday comes. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

7. saberahul macrumors 68040

To answer your question: Yes it will be compatible as there are no MAJOR changes that will require either the speaker or the volume buttons.
    I do not believe you will have to pay for the upgrade if you already have 2.1 as you paid $10 for that already.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

No, nothing seems as though they would.

1.1.4->2.0 was big, like 10.4 to 10.5, so they ask for a change. This is 10.5.0 -> 10.5.1

9. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

further updates will be continued to apply for two models whatsoever until Apple will decide to stop updating for first gen. as you know, Apple has always abandoned old model.

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ have not. leopard was compatible with PPC. the iPhone 2.0 was compatible with iPhone EDGE. To the OP: yes it will.

11. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

it's normal for companies, including Apple, to stop supporting their oldest technologies eventually. For example, although Leopard is compatible with PPC, only G4 or higher (at least that's what it says on the box, so I never tried installing it on my old iBook G3). The point though is that there will still be support for the first gen iPod Touch for a good long time. it's way too new for them to drop it. The second gen iPod Touch wasn't a technology leap, just some marketing improvements.